when do non-stress tests start?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
patty

Re : when do non-stress tests start?

Postby patty » Sat Aug 11, 2007 03:52 pm

I had them twice a week with my 1st starting about 32 weeks, 2x a week with my second starting at 30 weeks. I didn't have them with my 3rd on a regular basis just occaisionally and with my last when I was hospitalized at 31 weeks they did them daily until they delivered at 34 weeks. I think it just depends on when your problems start and how severe they are.

pbordon33

Postby pbordon33 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:13 am

With this pregnancy, I started having NST's 2X a week starting at 30 weeks. At 34 weeks my doctor increased it to 3X a week because the baby had some decelerations during one NST. I think they are starting to get sick of seeing my little mug there! Hopefully my doctor still wants to deliver me at 37 weeks.

kimpaulus00

Postby kimpaulus00 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 09:06 am

with my first pregnancy I did not have NST's since I did not make it that far (PE at 22 weeks); however, in my second pregnancy I had NST's starting once a week at 28 weeks and this last pregnancy I had NST's 2x a week starting at 28 weeeks. I had different doctors between the 2d and 3d pregnancies so that may account for some difference in the number.

When I was in for an NST, the nurse doing the NST mentioned that there had been a woman having an NST at 25 weeks -- not sure why but I guess that they can start relatively early. I know that we had problems getting Abigail to stay on the monitor for the NST's until about 31-32 weeks so the NST's which were scheduled for a 1/2 hour ended up taking more like 3 hours. :-)

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Aug 10, 2007 03:59 pm

I started in the 26-28 week range with Alex. i had them everytime I was at the doctor or hospital (which meant at least bi-weekly!)

never had one with Mason.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Aug 10, 2007 03:49 pm

28 weeks is, generally speaking, the soonest most doctors want to perform them. Mine started at my peri's at 32 weeks. I had bpps once a week and nsts once a week from 32 weeks until delivery at 37.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 03:39 pm

I just found out I am pregnant. I had the nst's weekly with my last pregnancy but I can't remember how soon they started. I do remember he started them as early as possible since I had cervical funneling.

jamilyn

Postby jamilyn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 03:36 pm

I started NST's in my second pregnancy in the 20th weeks, sorry I cant remember the exact week. I started twice a week close at 30 weeks till the day I had my emergency c-section at 35 weeks.. I also had them every 3 weeks when I had my peri appts along with Ultra sounds.. I had severe Eclampsia with my first pregnancy and ended up on bedrest in the hospital with PE at 27 weeks and found out that it had onset at about 24 weeks but when i went into the OB my BP would be OK so we didnt know what was going on. I had my seizure just 4 days later luckily in the hospital. So this pregnancy my OB kept a very close eye on me and I had too many appts to count... I was put on bedrest at 30 weeks with PE and had NSTs twice a week and more if needed or if I felt like something wasnt right I would go in and hook myself up... Most OBs arent that open with PTs and I am so thankful mine was. My NST at 35 weeks was much different from all my previous ones and with that and my BP and weight gain I was sent straight across the parking lot to the hospital to prep for my C-section.
Good Luck!!!!

lbdefelice

Postby lbdefelice » Fri Aug 10, 2007 02:00 pm

Hi. During my first pregnancy (NO PE), I had to have NST's done 2x/week because of my Thalasemia Anemia Trait (my hemoglobin was running very low so they wanted biweekly NST's and weekly AFI's done.) I started around 30 weeks and continued to my delivery of 39 weeks.

With my second pregnancy (Severe PE at 36 weeks), I was already having the NST's done d/t my genetic anemia when I was diagnosed with PE at 34 weeks. I started the NST's around 30 weeks as well and had them 2x/week too. I also had the AFI (amniotic fluid index check) done weekly then too.

Have you started having NST's done yet?

mom29

when do non-stress tests start?

Postby mom29 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:17 am

How many months along were you when you started getting non-stress tests? How ofen did you have them? If you had them more than once a week can you tell me why? I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for what is ahead.
Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”