out of lurking

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
susan863

out of lurking

Postby susan863 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 06:48 pm

Hi, I have been lurking for the past few months, and wanted to introduce myself and briefly tell about my connection to this site. In 1994, I had mild preeclampsia, leading to the induction of my son at 37 weeks. This year, I became pregnant for the third time (with a miscarriage in between) and developed severe preeclampsia, leading to the premature birth of my daughter, Annabella, at 33 weeks on June 17, 2007.

The first time around, I had very little information about preeclampsia. This time, I started reading early, and thankfully found the Preeclampsia Foundation on-line. However, this did not prevent my having a period of misdiagnosis by my health care providers, during which I was told that anxiety was causing my high BP's, that I should rely on my health care providers to check my BP and refrain from taking it at home, and that I should stop researching pre-e, since I didn't have the diagnosis (yet). After a time, I began to feel that I was, in fact, crazy and overreacting, but I kept monitoring my BPs, kept visiting this website, and kept insisting on urine checks and other types of follow up. By the time I was sent to a Level 3 hospital for a C-section, my BP diastolic number was consistently over 100 on Labetalol (outside of pregnancy, I've never had high BP or been on BP meds), the protein in my urine was in the 3000s, my platelet count was dropping, and my reflexes were hair-trigger. I was immediately put on mag and transported by ambulance to have the c-section the same day.

There's lots more to my story, but I'm trying to keep it brief here. Annabella is doing well, but was 3 lbs. 5 oz. at birth. She has since been diagnosed with IUGR.

I am exceptionally grateful for this organization and this forum, as I would never have had the assertiveness to keep asking for tests and follow-up otherwise, with the health care professionals at our small community hospital repeatedly telling me that everything was just fine. So, I just wanted to come out of lurking status and say hello to the people who have kept my sanity and may just have saved Annabella's and my life. Thanks to everyone who has put themselves and their stories out there to help me and others like me. What you're doing is invaluable.

Susan

Return to “Ask the Experienced”