Are they doing all they can?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
susan863

Re : Are they doing all they can?

Postby susan863 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:41 pm

I just wanted to say that I feel for you. My daughter Annabella was born by emergency C-section at 33 weeks due to my having severe pre-e. I had lots of NST's and ultrasounds, but I worried so much. One thing I did learn from the ultrasounds that was a bit reassuring was that because Annabella was so tiny, she had periods of activity that I couldn't feel (but we could see it on ultrasound). Although it is crucial to report any perceived change in fetal movement to the doc, knowing that she sometimes moved without my feeling her helped me not to jump to my own terrible conclusions during the dreaded still periods, say, in the middle of the night. It is such a lot of anxiety to try to deal with. Hang in there.

Sending positive, healing thoughts to you and your baby girl...

Susan

for faith

Postby for faith » Thu Jul 19, 2007 02:29 pm

Liz - Thinking of you and Scarlett.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 07:21 pm

I just wanted to offer you some encouragement. I had a grade 3 placenta diagnosed at 26 weeks and lasted another 7 weeks before I had to deliver. So, I know that its possible to go a while with a very ugly placenta. I also think that it sounds like your care is being managed well but, I know that its hard to play the pe game and I totally understand your anxiety over the situation. I wish you all the best!

josiah1112

Postby josiah1112 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 07:10 pm

I just wanted to say that I am sorry for your troubles.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Wed Jul 11, 2007 09:07 pm

I need to back Catherine up. My comments were simply that that is one (and something of a "out there) theory that doctors use. She is totally right. You've got a good track record with these guys and it is HIGHLY unlikely that something we think of here is going to be trumping their fine work. And her point about their not using antihypertensives is an excellent one--there is a logic to keeping the flow going as full on as possible for as long as possible. This is a delicate balancing act and I don't want to suggest they aren't managing things properly, because how could I possibly know. It sounds actually like they are pretty impressive and compared to a lot of women we see--you're in good hands. My comments were meant as a "if I were reaching for a theory--this is one I might offer you..." not a "OMG, they should be doing this." It's just one thing to talk about when you see them next.

At the end of the day--they are the ones who you need to lean on--we can only give you our experience and sometimes (for good or bad) our biases. And we're just not doctors. And frankly, if I were a doctor, I doubt I'd be as good as the peris out there.

Take care of yourself and keep us in the loop!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 08:04 pm

Liz, I'm not aware of any proven therapies, unfortunately. Some of the things they thought might work seem not to, probably because the placenta is actively trying to raise your blood pressure in order to better supply itself with blood, and your immune system is actively arguing with it.

I have to agree with everyone that you're already controlling what you *can* control here -- you know you're in good hands.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:42 pm

Liz, I wish that there was some possible reassurance for you but I'm not sure that there can be. Clearly your peri and OB are doing their utmost to monitor the situation and they seem to have a very clear picture as to where you stand. They also have a proven record with respect to getting you through Phoenix's pregnancy and delivery. It seems pretty likely, third pregnancy with hypertensive issues etc., that there is something about you (undefined perhaps) that puts you in this situation everytime. That said, every pregnancy is unique and perhaps drawing comparisons isn't necessarily as helpful as one might hope. I'm assuming that you've asked your OB and peri why they've chosen not medicate your BP lower, there are likely logical reasons why not, for example, they may hope that increased flow, although potentially damaging to the placenta, might keep up Scarlett's growth rate, which could ultimately benefit her in the face of a very early delivery. If you haven't, I think that you should ask. It's better to know and understand all the logic and theory when you are in a precarious situation, you don't need to be doubting the approach that is being taken. Don't forget, folks like us are just "monday-morning quarterbacks", we know what has been tried with other posters, but we don't know your precise situation.

I hope that you can keep in the game for as long as possible and that Scarlett keeps growing for as long as she can. I expect that sooner or later you'll be facing that hospital bedrest, steroid etc.; much as it will be miserable it will hopefully yield as happy and outcome as you had with Phoenix.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Wed Jul 11, 2007 01:43 pm

I know the science brains are coming. I'm not one of them though, for the record. I wonder if the activity decrease might be in part because she's getting bigger (wishful thinking) and so has less room to bounce around. It is good that the juice revved her up.

To my knowledge--there is nothing to reverse placental aging. Your BP is elevated and would have been at diagnostic criteria before 2002 (because your systolic is up 30 and your diastolic up 15) but now is considered worth noting. Be sure your doctors get that--there is a good line in the NIH's Hypertension in Pregnancy Working Group:

"In the past it has been recommended that an increase of 30 mm Hg systolic or 15 mm Hg diastolic blood pressure be used as a diagnostic criterion, even when absolute values are below 140/90 mm Hg. This definition has not been included in our criteria because the only available evidence shows that women in this group are not likely to suffer increased adverse outcomes. Nonetheless, it is the collective clinical opinion of this panel that women who have a rise of 30 mm Hg systolic or 15 mm Hg diastolic blood pressure warrant close observation, especially if proteinuria and hyperuricemia (uric acid [UA] greater than or equal to 6 mg/dL) are also present."

I would print that out and share it with your doctors just as an FYI. My peri put me on antihypertensives when I was where you are for just this reason. The result was my BP went down to 90/50 for a bit but we got the dosage sorted out and it may have bought me some time. His theory is that the pounding of the blood pressure further damages the placenta and end organs so if he were treating you, his belief would be that antihypertensives would be of potential benefit. But that is ONE theory. Certainly worth sharing with your doctor as he is on our medical board and so someone we consider a world authority on the disease.

Sorry for the terrible fear. Please keep us updated and keep up the kick counts. I'm glad you're getting close care.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:45 am

Liz,

I don't know of anything that can be done to slow down or reverse placental aging. The positive news, so far, is that Scarlett is growing well and your fluid is good. The reduced movements would be making me a basket case too, but perhaps they are connected to the size and position of the placenta and the way she is lying. Hopefully, you'll have a clearer picture on Monday.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what practical action there is to be taken, beyond keeping to your strict bedrest and monitoring everything very closely. I wish I could offer more - and maybe one of our more sciencey brains will.

Take care.

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:19 am

Liz,

I am a prayer warrior and I want you to know that many prayers are being said for you and precious Scarlett...

Please keep us updated, sending you virtual hugs!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”