Anyone have info on Lovenox

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
tahoe 4

Re : Anyone have info on Lovenox

Postby tahoe 4 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 07:55 am

I am also on Lovenox due to Factor V Leiden. I inject once daily and it's not nearly as bad as what you anticipate. The only side effects that I'm aware of is that is does weaken your bones so it's a good idea to take a calcium supplement. It's a low molecular medicine that does not cross into the placenta like a pill could. So avoiding shots and taking pills instead is not an option.

I bruise very easily and I did bruise a bit when I first started, but I finally found places to inject that do not leave bruises. It's strange, but as my stomach grows during this pregnancy, there are places in my stomach that are becoming numb, probably due to my previous c-sections, so I hardly even feel the injections anymore. I'ts not the shots themselves that hurt, it's the medicine that burns, but if you inject very slowly it does alleviate some of the stinging.

teresa m

Postby teresa m » Sun Feb 08, 2004 07:31 am

Thank you Theresa. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Teresa M
Mom to Emma Rose
Born 9/25/02 at 25 weeks
Weighing 1 lb 1 oz

twolfgram

Postby twolfgram » Sun Feb 08, 2004 07:21 am

Hi Teresa,

I am also a Theresa with MTHFR! I am currently 9 weeks pg and am on lovenox, twice a day. I do the injections myself, with the help of my husband to use the back of the arm. They're not that bad, kind of like a flu shot, the medicine kind of burns when injecting it. I tend to bruise easily, so I've got some nasty ones. So far it's going ok. My doc told me I'd be on the lovenox until 36 weeks, then switch to heparin three times a day because it's easier to control because it doesn't stay in your system as long. Good luck in any future pregnancies!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - born 10/4/95 at 28 weeks due to HELLP
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02 due to placental abruption
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Sat Feb 07, 2004 08:00 pm

its a blood thinner that is used in woman to try to prevent their blood from clotting during pregnancy in order to avoid not only PE but also miscarriage.

It is Lovenox and heprin are basically the same thing and involve injecting yourself daily (or 2-3 times a day) in either the stomach or thigh.

Though, before they do the lovenox you should be tested to see if you even have blood clotting disorders, otherwise the treatment may not be as effective as you hope.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Interm Chapter President - St. Louis/Missouri
Mommy to Alex and Mason

teresa m

Anyone have info on Lovenox

Postby teresa m » Sat Feb 07, 2004 06:43 pm

Hi

My name is Teresa and I had preeclampisa/HELLP. My problems started in my third month. My triple marker test came back positive for Spina Bifida. When my OB sent me to have an ultra sound they found out the test was wrong...my baby girl did not have spina bifida. At about 20 weeks my feet and hands started to swell. My OB told me to watch what I was eating. A week later I could not even put shoes on. I went to see my OB and my blood pressure was up. (137/95). My OB sent me to the Maternal Fetal Medicine Drs who specialize in complicated pregnancies. The MFM Drs started watching my blood pressure, urine, and blood work. Five days before I would hit 25 weeks, my blood pressure was very high and I had protein in my urine. So on Saturday 9/21/02 the Drs admitted me and gave me my first shot of steroids. That same evening my blood pressure was to high so they put me on Mag for 24 hours. On Sunday 9/22/02, I received my second shot of steroids. Monday and Tuesday went by fine but when I woke up on Wednesday I had a terrible headache. By two in the afternoon I had bad pain below my breast. The RNs told me I had heartburn and gave me malox. By 9PM Wednesday I could hardly breath, I could not sit, stand, or talk the pain was so bad. My blood pressure went up to 190/110. The RNs started giving me morphine for the pain while they waited for my blood results. The morphine gave me about 2 minutes of relief. When they looked at my blood results they saw that my liver was what was causing me so much pain. The rushed me into an emergency C-section and after surgery they put me back on Mag for another 24 hours. I was out of it.

My husband and I had a baby girl that was a 25 weeker. She weighed 1lb 1oz and was 11 inches long. We named her Emma Rose. She spent a long 117 days in the NICU. I do not hold up at all...I was a mess. Emma was so small. My Drs did blood test and found out I had 2 blood disorders...Factor 5 and MTHFR.

Now Emmma is a beautiful and happy 16 month old little girl (12 1/2 adjusted) and doing great. She is walking and getting into everything...I love it!! The only way you would know she was a preemie is because of her size (17lbs--28 inches tall) and she has to wear glasses. We were truly blessed and I thank God everyday for my Miracle!!

Now my husband and I are deciding if we should have a second child. I have a consultation set up with my MFM Drs this March to discuss the risk. (I am 35 years old) My blood Dr told me if I do get pregnant to have MFM put me on LOVENOX.

Has anyone heard of this medicine?? Is it to help with the preeclampsia or my blood clotting issues?? I am so scared to get pregnant because of the preeclampsia (HELLP). I would never want a child to go through what Emma went through and I do not think I could handle it physically or emotionally. My fear holds me back.

Sorry for the long story but the reason is to give you my history and find out about the medicine Lovenox. ANY help would be appreciated.

Teresa M
Mom to Emma Rose
Born 9/25/02 at 25 weeks
Weighing 1 lb 1 oz

Return to “Ask the Experienced”