Did anyone's BP come down after delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
pkandm

Re : Did anyone's BP come down after delivery?

Postby pkandm » Mon Dec 18, 2006 04:28 pm

Mine took awhile to go down. They finally just let me go after 5 days..saying that being we just received news that our son had a syndrome (which we were totally shocked by)-the dr said that it may take awhile do to the added stress of him being in the NICU and the dx. It took about 2 weeks.

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Mon Dec 18, 2006 04:17 pm

I think I was on labetolol for about 1-2 months after, then was able to taper off of it.

misup

Postby misup » Mon Dec 18, 2006 04:08 pm

Laura... SUPER POINT.. can't always assume that it will stay down.. mine went up and down, but I am still medicated almost 3 years later...quite obviously, there was an underlying issue with me....This is an important issue when it comes to education and awareness... some people are fine through pregnancy and do not even know that they had PE until a few weeks later upon after care check ups. ****I just spoke to someone that I know and her sister had a full term normal preg. No signs of BP issues, baby was 7 days old and she had a stroke.. she is one of those that apparently did have PE, but was never diagnosed. I still feel that the number of people with PE is grossly under estimated.. there is really no way to track.. Thanks for this orginal post!

Mis

laura

Postby laura » Mon Dec 18, 2006 01:09 am

You know, now that we're talking about it, with my first, I had gone down to 125-130/80 on discharge, but was readmitted a couple of days later with 180/100. It can go back up, too!

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Mon Dec 18, 2006 00:20 am

My bp always went down after delivery. With the first two it was months and weeks but with Savanna (my last one) it went within hours and except for a handful of times stayed down. I was off of my bp medication well before my 6 week check up

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:54 pm

After baby #1 bp was still high at two weeks but not the 6-week post-partum visit. Baby #2 was normal immediately after delivery.

My friend who was diagnosed PE while in labor at 40 weeks resolved immediately. My friend who delivered after 7 weeks of hospital bedrest for severe PE is still on massive Labetol (sp?) 6 months post-partum.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Dec 16, 2006 08:22 pm

Mine did with my first baby. I was in the hospital for 7 days after delivery and was on no bp meds when I left. My bp when admitted was 160/120, got to as high as 170/125, and then when I left it was 135-140/80-90. They gave me a script for a really dose of aldomet, but at the level I was at when I left, I didn't fill it. At the 6 week mark it was 120/80.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Sat Dec 16, 2006 08:03 pm

With my first 3 babies, my BP was totally normal [low even] within about 24 hours of delivery. It wasn't until my fourth baby that it stayed high and got worse after delivery.

I think in "most" cases it does resolve pretty quickly, but definitely not always.

Kelly

laura

Postby laura » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:52 am

In most cases of preeclampsia, the BP will go down very quickly- what you're seeing here are a lot of women with underlying chronic hypertension or really, really severe disease. Odds are you'll recover quickly!

jdsmom

Postby jdsmom » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:05 am

Mine went down immediately after baby was taken out via c-section; right after the surgery they took my blood pressure and it had gone down quite a bit. I think by the next day it was totally normal.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”