Prenatal Heart Listener

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Prenatal Heart Listener

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 01:45 am

Dopplers *are* ultrasound -- ultrasound is a high-frequency sound wave that measures the Doppler shift off of moving objects towards either the infrared or the ultraviolet side of the spectrum.

Or at least that's what they taught me in physics... I've never used them in a medical application myself.

ETA: Here's another link.

http://se.babycenter.com/pregnancy/ante ... safeexpert

Dopplers designed for private use are pocket-sized, battery-operated devices that send out low-frequency ultrasound waves...

and

While there is no evidence as yet that Dopplers are harmful in any way, there is also no research available to show the effects of a mother using a Doppler to listen to her baby two or three times a day throughout pregnancy...

and

It may be a good idea to discuss your intentions with your midwife, consultant or ultrasonographer at your local hospital for more advice...

I'm not trying to be bossy -- I just want people to know what the ACOG says about this issue.

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:01 pm

That's what I mean. Just a regular doppler. It is approved by the FDA. I wouldn't try to do an ultrasound. Well, maybe I would if I could afford to buy one. :)

sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:34 pm

I think we are all talking about dopplers, not ultrasonography equipment. I may be wrong in assuming this, but I was refering to a simple hand held doppler machine.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:24 pm

Here's more:

http://www.acog.org/from_home/publicati ... /co297.pdf

They are explicitly worried that it may "falsely reassure women"...

ETA: here's a link to an article in the press about this: http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/article.cfm?id=6728

sweetiesuzy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 08:12 pm

I bought a cheap one from Walmart. It never picked up a heart beat. There are really nice ones that do work that you can either rent or buy. I know that for women who have experienced a loss of a pregnancy it can be a great relief to just hear that beautiful sound of your baby's heartbeat during your pregnancy.

Good luck,

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Dec 12, 2006 06:48 pm

Personally, I wouldn't use one because I would have no idea how to evaluate the information from it accurately. The ethics committee of the ACOG discourages routine nonmedical ultrasound during pregnancy as well:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

I'm looking for the full-text of this to see what else it says, but I would venture a guess that all of us (except those who are trained ultrasound techs) would be considered non-medical users of ultrasound (even though our pregnancies are high-risk and more use of ultrasound is justified in high-risk pregnancies.)

If I can find a copy, I'll post it.

christy73

Postby christy73 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 02:42 pm

I have a doppler and it works great. I bought mine off ebay. It turned out to be cheaper than renting, but of course that depends on how long you keep it.

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 am

I have found them at www.babyfm.com where you can rent them by the day for like $0.90. I'm just too neurotic to not have one at my disposal. :) And I know if I used one and didn't get a heartbeat, I would be in instant panic. I think my husband is letting me have one just save himself the trouble.

mommajo

Postby mommajo » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:22 am

With my last pregnancy I bought a monitor at Motherhood Maternity I think it was a Bebe but I could be wrong. It was a complete waste of money and just made me crazy trying to find the heartbeat and not being able to. I don't think I picked up anything even late in pregnancy although I delivered at 36 weeks so maybe I would have been able to that last month If I had gone to 40 weeks. The dopplers sound good, but I don't have money for those so I am just going without one for this pregnancy.

kris21225

Postby kris21225 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:31 am

Like you said, the reviews I read online about the BeBe monitor weren't really good. People said don't waste your money and it did't work until late in pregnancy, but late in pregnancy isn't what I'm worried about. I found a few sites that lets you rent dopplers. I also found a site www.dynamicdoppler.com where you can buy a used one for $175. I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm about 4 wks so I'm debating if I should just get it now and drive myself crazy trying to find the hb, or wait the 4 more wks it takes to get a good hb and buy it then.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”