what are my chances of delivering a healthy baby?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
josiah1112

Re : what are my chances of delivering a healthy baby?

Postby josiah1112 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 07:23 am

Please keep a close eye on the baby.Things can go bad very soon.I had had an ultrasound at 29w5d and things were okay. However by 30w5d things were so bad they had to deliver.If I had not walked into that labor and delivery that Sunday morning my outcome would have been a lot different.I hope you make it full term!!!

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sat Dec 09, 2006 03:31 am

I believe most of us were hospitalized for at least a few days before delivery, some less and some much more. Personally I was admitted at 30w1d and had my dd 30w4d. Most likely if you were admitted they would give you a series of steroid shots, put you on magnesium sulfate as well some type of blood pressure medication if needed, give you hydrotherapy(soak in a bathtub) and oxygen, but that is from my experience.

All babies are different and have different challenges so I don't think any of us can give you an indication of how your baby will do. The best news is that the baby has good flow and growth. To give you an example my dd was born at 30w4d and weighed 2 pounds 3.5 oz., which is the same size as your son now. She was in the NICU for 47 day and is now perfectly healthy 20/mo old. Babies under 36 weeks can have a lot of challenges because they aren't suppose to be out in our world, so respiration and digestion issues are common. As others have said getting your steroid shots would be a very proactive approach, they make a huge difference. My dd was on room air with no assistance on her third day, but she had slow digestion and it was a challenge for her to learn how to eat. All of the babies seem to have their strength and weaknesses. Although this is not easy I would try not to dwell about how well your baby will do under 36 weeks, but try to stay as relaxed as possible and rest, keep your baby cooking. If your baby is early I do recommend the Premature Baby book by Dr. Sears, it was the best resource for our family to understand what was going on. We gave the book to a friend of ours when she had her 32wk boy and she said it was so incredibly helpful.

Please know that we are all with you during this journey over the next few months and beyond. One last thing - Has your Doctor gone over symptoms with you so you know if you need to go to the hospital immediately? If you don't know what to look for let me/us know and one of us will give you a list.

Wishing you the best, please email if you would like.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sat Dec 09, 2006 03:27 am

Jana,

what you're asking is really to pin down the unknowable. There is such a vast range of possible scenarios that could become your outcome between now and 36 weeks, it's really hard to say. What I would say is that your OB is obviously being cautious and has a management plan in mind - very good news. The problem is, preeclampsia is a disease that progresses; recovery begins at delivery. Whether you are one of the women who limps along week by week until full term or thereabouts, or become one of the ok one minute, critical the next is, I'm m afraid, impossible to say.

There's also a huge raft of difference in outcomes for babies in the time frame ahead. 30 weeks is good; 32 better; 34 great.

In terms of hospitalization: both times I was admitted with severe pe, I delivered within the week. That's not everyone's case, but if it gets to a point where your organs are in danger of failing and/or the baby is struggling, delievery is imminent.

I know after all that, it's going to be difficult to not worry and relax. I hope you get another couple of months to grow this little one - and that the boredom of bedrest doesn't drive you nuts. I'd plan to be laying down for a while - if you need ideas on how to pass the time, just holler. Many of us have been there, done that.

Take care, and bug us about anything - it's what we're here for.

fredtrain

Postby fredtrain » Sat Dec 09, 2006 02:45 am

I had a non-stress test for the baby and he did very well. With my protein levels curently around 300, but all my blood work coming out normal, my OB said I can stay home with strict bed-rest for now. If I get protein around 500 she would consider that "dangerously high" and hospitalize me. What happens then? Is there a way to stabilize me and let the baby grow more? How well do babies born at under 36 weeks do?
Thanks for any replies,
Jana

ozierja

Postby ozierja » Wed Dec 06, 2006 09:31 am

Hi Jana as Fiona mentioned I would also ask for the steriods, just in case.
Best to you!

fredtrain

Postby fredtrain » Wed Dec 06, 2006 01:20 am

Thanks everyone for your great responses. It is really heartening to know that some women make it well over the two week diagnoses-to-delivery average! And I really appreciate all the info on what these tests check and what questions I should ask. I go to the OB on Thursday for more tests and will definitely check back in here with results...and probably more questions.
Thanks everyone!
Jana

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Dec 06, 2006 00:01 am

Jana,

I wanted to say hi and welcome to you as well.

Fiona has given you some great information. I would also ask about monitoring of the baby - nonstress tests, biophysical profiles, etc. and how often you'll be doing labs. I'd also ask your doctor to give you the guidelines for kick counts - they're typically recommended after 28 weeks and are one of the best ways you can monitor baby at home.

In the meantime, please keep our list of Signs & Symptoms handy: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp And don't hesitate to call in/go in if you feel things are progressing.

Also, I'm the CA Group Coordinator - I'm going to send you an email, let me know if you don't get anything, [email protected] .

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:59 pm

The blood tests check platlets, AST, ALT (AST and ALT are liver functions) and sometimes they also test kidney function.

How long a doc lets you go really depends on how your doing, the baby is doing and what the 24 hours and blood tests reveal. My doc let me go 13 weeks, I had symptoms that were worsening, but my protein was negligible, my labs were normal and not really moving (I had labs drawn at every doc visit so usually 2-3 times a week) and the baby was passing everything beautifully. I delivered at 37 weeks after my initial diagnosis was made at 24 weeks, so there are some of us out there that do get there.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:19 pm

PIH labs will indicate liver function, etc (I can't recall what else the labs check for, but they are pretty routine for PE folks). In my experience, pih labs were always done when my 24 hour urine collection was turned in. Best wishes for you!

fredtrain

Postby fredtrain » Tue Dec 05, 2006 08:43 pm

Dear Fiona,
Thanks so much for your response.
I have indeed had blood work and my OB said that the results were "normal." I don't know what that means but when I meet with her in two days I will ask her for more specifics. Are there any questions you would suggest I ask? I'm not sure what the blood tests check for.
Thanks again, and I hope you are right about me "bucking the trend!" In the mean time I'll keep on resting...and keep you updated as I learn more.
Jana

Return to “Ask the Experienced”