what are my chances of delivering a healthy baby?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
fredtrain

Re : what are my chances of delivering a healthy baby?

Postby fredtrain » Thu Dec 21, 2006 05:35 pm

Missi,
I think I was diagnosed with PE due to spikes in BP and the protein. My BP tends to spike, especially when I at the Dr. I had a reading of 163/84 last time I went. But other than that my BP's are fairly normal. I've noticed over the last two months (that's how long I've been on bedrest) that my BP's are very very very slowly rising. Nowadays if I am up for too long showering or whaterver I tend to get readings around 140-160/75-85 but these always settle back down after 5 minutes of lying down and then remain low as long as I am farly inactive. I don't know, sometimes I wonder what the * I am doing on bedrest. But, I guess better safe than sorry. ...although sometimes I feel like an incubating machine and that pisses me off. I still have a looong way to go towards delivering an at-least-close-to-term baby. It's frustrating though. I think my Peri thinks my OB is overreacting. But I've pretty much resigned myself to bedrest for the duration....I just hope I don't get sent to the hospital for bedrest. That would kill me. The diagnoses seem to vary widely from what I read here. I think my OB is super-cautious and plays things strictly by the book. (I also have some cervix issues...mine is a little short so that probably adds to the bedrest perscription).
btw...my most recent visit to the Peri (yesterday) was great. My baby is now 30 weeks and wieghs between 3 - 3.25 pounds!

missi

Postby missi » Sun Dec 17, 2006 01:19 pm

if your b/p is not bad, and your protein is only 300...what diagnosed you with PRE-E....CUZ I HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PRE-E , AND I BEEN HOSPITALED SINCE 27WK AND I'M CURRENTLY 32WKS.

hmmmmmmmm

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Dec 16, 2006 02:11 am

Jana,

Here is an article about steroid use for fetal lung development. http://www.webmd.com/hw/being_pregnant/ ... 31713CA348} Thought that might help answer some questions. Always a good idea to open the discussion up with your doctor to see what his/her thoughts are.

fredtrain

Postby fredtrain » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:50 pm

Stacey,
I hope you will make it to 37 weeks. I am 29.5 weeks now and hope to make it to at least 36.
My doctor is working with me to try to keep me out of the hospital as long as possible. I have a home monitoring service now through Matria, a great healthcare company that helps women with high-risk pregnancies. This machine they gave me monitors my BP and wieght and prompts me to answer questions about headaches etc. and they have a 24 hour nurse on duty that I can call with questions or concerns. I also got urine test strips. They don't take the place of the 24hour ones (I'm doing another one of those this weekend) but they help track you day to day. I feel really fortunate to have these resources and a great doc who is working with me to try to keep this thing at bay as long as possible and to keep me relaxed and at home too! I guess as long as my BP's and proteins remain relatively good, I can chill at home. Being able to stay home gives me confidence and hope. But I know this can all change in an instant so I'm gald I am being monitored.
How early did your doctor give you steroids? Do they give you steroids for several days or even weeks? I thought steroids were a last minute thing.

stacya1

Postby stacya1 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 00:46 am

Jana,

I have been in the hospital for 3 1/2 weeks, since week 30. My protein from 24 hour was 306 and last week was 406. I am doing another 24 hour now. I am here until delivery and hopefully will remain stable and we will induce at 37 weeks. The criteria for my Doctor to deliver are consistant bp of 165/100, protein of 5000 or greater, baby not doing well on NSTs etc..., labs indicating a problem. So far my labs have been just fine. I am hoping to make it to 37 weeks. We did have the steroid shots, I would ask about those.

Good luck,

fredtrain

Postby fredtrain » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 pm

Hi Everyone,
Good news! My protein numbers actuallt decreased from 300 down to 205! I think strict bed rest is working. Also, I am going in for 2x weekly NST and so far they have all been good. I have another one tomrrow and then go to the peri on Wednesday for an ultrasound.
I just wanted to let you all know that things are looking up (at least temporarily) and thanks again for all the support.
Jana[:)]

misup

Postby misup » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:51 am

Jana,

Welcome welcome welcome!!
It is true that all babies are different.. I was hosp. at for four weeks prior to del of my first and he was 4 weeks early, had time to get the steriods in to work.. boys take longer to bake as my dr always said..
my daughter was 6 wks early and I held on to her for about 3-4 weeks even when things started to go bad.. MAKE sure you stay on strict bed rest as advised and on the left side. I remember in the hospital, I would sit up to eat and would not even get through my meal and they would make me go back to my left side and get it down for a little while, then I could sit back up to eat again.
You know your body better than anyone and always go with what you feel and make sure to communicate everything with your dr... even things that seem trivial.. write it down so that you can let then know everything...

Keep us posted, you are in our prayers!

dohertyab

Postby dohertyab » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:02 am

Hello. I've got a good news story. Twins born at 29 weeks (2lbs each)and they're now 5 and doing very well in school. No apparent long term issues even though they spent 11 weeks in the NICU. Not every story is good, but there are good ones out there!

Andrea

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:48 am

You have gotten great advice! I just wanted to add that their is a statistic that every healthy day in the womb saves 2 in the nicu......but when there are adverse conditions for baby or mom the only solution is usually delivery.....ask your dr about any and all questions or strange symptoms you have. My peri told me from visit one that he considers full term babies at 37 weeks and never hesitates to deliver at 35 weeks......and that was when my bp was just being monitored, later as I was medicated for bp he never discussed it again and advised me against monitoring it at home, he wanted me as calm as he could get me and I was being seen 2x a week with a bpp every visit because he had seen what he thought was restricted growth but never told me what the numbers meant just encouraged me to enjoy my pregnancy......

darcynulph

Postby darcynulph » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:18 am

Also I agree with with Gloria, if I wouldn't have gone in when I first had visual disturbances it would have been a very different outcome. My body body was failing and my ob and peri said that we would have had 2-3 days max. Things can change quickly, don't second guess your instincts even if you go to L & D and they check you out and everything is fine, go back whenever you don't feel right.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”