What do you guys think?!?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sonja
Forum Moderator

Re : What do you guys think?!?

Postby sonja » Sun May 25, 637681 12:33 pm

All of the tests that I mentioned in my above test should be done. They can't predict pre-e, but they all contribute to the likelyhood of you getting pre-e and can be managed in pregnancy, so they should be tested for. I am not saying that if you know you have them and manage them that you won't get pre-e, it is just that you will know what you are up against and you can develop a plan for dealing with it. Good luck.

Joy

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Sun May 25, 637681 9:30 am

I had the preconception consult with my doctor, but at the time was not familiar with perinataologist. I have heard that we are getting one on staff at one of the hospitals here, so I'll probably have to go back to my OB to get a referral to the peri. I spoke to the peri's office assistant at their main office in Austin and she said that usually the OB is perfectly qualified to handle high risk pregnancy, and that the peri would be a resource for him to use if needed. Also, I asked about running any kind of tests, and she said there aren't really any tests to predict pre eclampsia. What tests should I ask for?
At the preconception meeting with my OB, he said that they would watch me closely and that he handles many PIH/Pre E cases. I will probably meet with him again to get the referral, at that meeting, what other questions should I be asking him?
Ladies, what I went through was really not traumatic -- it was scary, but we all came out okay -- I would do it again if I knew it would turn out the exact same way. My biggest fear is leaving my 2 year old without a mother b/c I was selfish enough to risk my life to have another child. I guess what I'm trying to find out is would I really be risking my life? It's kind of silly I guess b/c I risk my life everytime I leave my house, don't I? I'm really trying to put the whole thing into God's hands, but I'm a control freak and giving up control is really difficult for me!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu May 15, 637681 3:26 am

Amy, did your docs run a 24-hour urine catch? I ask because you say they did find protein, and with pressures like that postpartum, it sounds to me like it could have been postpartum PE.

Also, our Experts say that stress probably just can't cause PE -- here's a link:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9447

I agree with Sam -- in your shoes I'd want a pre-conception consult.

Keep us posted!

froggie89

Postby froggie89 » Thu May 15, 637681 2:26 am

Hi Amy!

Welcome to the forums! Making the decision to have another baby after having pe is a tough one. Like Joy suggested, I would met with your ob and a peri for a pre-conception consultation to see what exactly their game plan would be for a second pregnancy and test for underlying disorders. Having a doc that you trust is important. I knew I wanted to try again after losing Alexander, but I was nervous about what a second pregnancy would be like. I was nervous when I got pg again. But we'll be here for you. Good Luck with your decision.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed May 14, 637681 3:45 pm

My best advice to you is to do what seems right. It really sounds like you want another baby and your OB's seem like they are okay with it. Have you been tested for underlying disorders that can lead to pre-e? This is a series of blood tests - about 10 vials - that covers things like lupus, blood clotting disorders and autoimmunine diseases. For me it really helped to find an OB that I knew would be proactive in my second pregnany. I was put on bp meds when my bp went up a tiny bit during my second trimester. Find an OB or a Peri that you really trust and find out what there plan in for you. Since you have had problems you should be given some extra care, taken extra precautions with. Good luck to you.

Joy

adgirl

What do you guys think?!?

Postby adgirl » Wed May 14, 637681 5:02 am

Here's my story -- like many of you I had pre eclampsia with my first child and I am now struggling with the idea of doing it again. Let me give you my history and will you please let me know what you think?

At around 36 weeks, my doctor found protein in the urine and I had a LOT of swelling. My blood pressure was creeping up slowly as well. I was put onto bed rest that week and then enduced at 38 weeks. My son was born with TTN which is transient tachypnea of the newborn -- he was considered full term, so I don't know if that was related to the "early" delivery. He was on oxygen for the first 12 hours and then monitored closely for the following 2 days. Perfectly healthy, gorgeous little boy now!!!

Anyway, the doctor's released me even though my BP was still 140/90. I was in close contact with my OB's office (he had left for Europe), and was checking in with BP's multiple times a day. They put me on Lebatalol and the BP kept going up. Within a week after my son's birth, I was told to go to the ER b/c of high BP -- it was like 214/120 at the ER, of course I was terrified! They got me dosed up on Labetalol and Clonidine and got it down to 140/90 and released me again. I was on meds for about 4 months, slowly weaning off of them over time. I returned to work when my son was 6 weeks old.

So, although I didn't have severe PE during pregnancy, in fact, it may have been considered just PIH, afterwards the high BP just kept hanging on!!

Now, anytime I take BP at a doctor's office, it is high -- if I take it at home, it's normal 117/75 or so. I'm assuming it's white coat syndrome or something b/c of the scare during/after pregnancy.

My son is over 2 years old now, and we're thinking of trying again. My OB says he doesn't see any reason not too, and I have since consulted another OB who looked at my records and said there's no reason not to try again. He feels that it's likely I'll have PIH again, but doesn't think it would result in anything worse than the first time through.

Many of you have much scarier stories, and I may seem to be a mild case to you, but I just wondered what you guys think of me trying again? I have suffered from anxiety disorder in the past, but am currently doing great and not medicated. I just wonder if another pregnancy will have me so anxious that I develop high Blood Pressure just from worry!!! I also have a slightly stressful full time job in sales. (Same job as last pregnancy!)

I know you can't give out medical advice here, but just would like some input from others who've been where I am -- in many cases in worse situations than mine!

Thanks guys!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”