Protein in urine +3, bp up but not too high - PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
julie f

Re : Protein in urine +3, bp up but not too high - PE?

Postby julie f » Tue Oct 17, 2006 06:34 pm

Glad that your 24 hour was normal, please continue to keep a close eye on yourself though. "Normal" can change rather quickly. Also, for my own peace of mind, I'd ask what your numbers were as well.

Please take care!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Oct 17, 2006 05:28 pm

wow - that's great. I hope all continues to go well.

pkrivard

Postby pkrivard » Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:35 pm

Just got a call from the OB's office - 24 hour test came back 'normal'! So- I have no idea why I had 2 tests at 3+ before and now 'normal', but it's good news and I'll take it. I go see her again next week.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:36 am

Just to echo Caryn, please don't rely on being able to intuit that your BP has risen badly - everyone experiences that differently.

Also, we shpould maybe prepare you for the idea that bedrest could be on the cards - even in hospital. It might be worth trying to organize help just in case.

Let us know what the results are.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Oct 17, 2006 09:58 am

Personally, I never noticed any symptoms, and in fact that's one of the reasons this disease has been so problematic historically -- the symptoms are really uninteresting, to the patient, right up until she goes into multiple organ failure and starts seizing. High blood pressure is known as a silent killer. It's also just an indication of the underlying problems with the placenta, and many of the symptoms on the list are caused by other things apart from high bp that go wrong, like damage to the liver resulting in epigastric pain.

That's why I'd strongly recommend a home blood pressure cuff, and monitoring it yourself on a daily schedule, two or three times daily. Doing that will alert you both to spikes and trends, and if you keep a log you'll be able to discuss it with your doctor.

My mom is a chronic hypertensive (with no known underlying cause -- they've checked everything they can think of) and she missed her meds a few days ago. She only realized she'd missed them because her stomach was upset, which meant she'd missed her dose of Prilosec, which meant she'd not taken her bp meds either. When she took her bp it was 212/106... and she had no idea. (Meds brought it right down, thankfully!)

crogers

Postby crogers » Tue Oct 17, 2006 09:17 am

I am sure others on here will jump in, but for me, when my bp began to rise, I had a headache- one that went from one side of my head to the other. I ignored it, thinking it was a tension headache, (although I had never had one like that) for three days, and by then, I had really bad PE. I didnt know the symptoms. Take a look again at the signs/symptoms page that Julie posted as these are the most common symptoms associated with PE.

Just please make sure that if you do experience any of these, call or go in to get it checked out.

pkrivard

Postby pkrivard » Tue Oct 17, 2006 08:40 am

Thank you so much for your replies. I am hoping to get the test results late today or tomorrow.

I have never had any complications like this before ( 4 easy pregnancies and 2 miscarriages), so it all seems a bit unreal.

I thought something might be up when after she explained the 24 hr test to me ( without mentioning preeclampsia- she likely didn't want to scare me) the dr. told me I can call in as soon as they expect the results to discuss them- that seemed odd since I'm seeing her every 2 weeks anyways. Then I found this website and started to put the pieces together.

Are there any symptoms you feel when your blood pressure gets dangerously high? This is the highest my blood pressure has ever been, and I can't tell by feeling that it's up at all- anything I should look for as a sign it's rising?

I'll keep you posted- thanks for the welcome and advice.

Kerrie

melanie12321

Postby melanie12321 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 04:20 am

Hi i agree with the others , let us know how you get on and welcome to the forum take care love melanie xx

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Mon Oct 16, 2006 05:44 pm

I agree with Fiona, she's spot on. Please hound your OBs office to get your test results. Then, push for an immediate appointment where you can discuss all the possibilities and treatment options that are appropriate for your particular situation. While two weeks from diagnosis to delivery is the average, you should be aware that there are situations where women can become severely ill very rapidly, while other women "limp" to the finish line of a term (or very near term) pregnancy with a lot of monitoring, resting etc. I can't imagine that any of this helps with 4 kids on the outside that need minding, but you do too!

julie f

Postby julie f » Mon Oct 16, 2006 05:41 pm

Just wanted to jump on here and echo Fiona.

Check this out from our Signs & Symptoms page:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp
"...it is the collective clinical opinion of this panel that women who have a rise of 30 mm Hg systolic or 15 mm Hg diastolic blood pressure warrant close observation, especially if proteinuria and hyperuricemia (uric acid [UA] greater than or equal to 6 mg/dL) are also present."

Please check out the link above to our Signs & Symptoms page and continue to keep close watch over yourself? When are you seeing your doctor again and when are your test results expected?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”