wierd bp readings

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
annes
Forum Moderator

Re : wierd bp readings

Postby annes » Thu Oct 12, 2006 09:18 am

I agree with what everyone else says, I got weird readings, like yours during my second pregnancy, and my peri gave me a calculation to do to see if I needed to call him. I do not remember it, and am so terrible at math that just trying to do the simple calculation sent my bp soaring[:p]. Call the doc and let them know.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Wed Oct 11, 2006 09:55 pm

Caryn is right either or is what they want to know about.

khailibowen

Postby khailibowen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll give a call and let her know and see what she wants me to do. I've been having braxton hicks all day too, nothing consistent or anything, but they are there, so I'll bring those up as well. I never had braxton hicks or even normal labor contractions with sean so it took some time to realize what was actually occuring this time. I wonder if the bp and the bh are related...

I thought it would be a bit wierd if both top and bottom numbers had to be high, I'm glad I posted to find out.

akemt

Postby akemt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:26 pm

I too, if in your shoes, would call the doctor about the readings and probably ask for a full work-up (labs, BPP, etc) even if just to be on the safe side. Having dealt with labile PIH in two pregnancies, I am a witness that even labile hypertension can cause problems. Best wishes and let us know what you find out,

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Oct 11, 2006 07:15 pm

In your shoes, I'd call the OB and report those readings. As I understand it, it's either 160 OR 110 that they're worried about -- you don't need both. Plus it sounds like your bp is becoming labile, or in other words starting to bounce around a lot, which is often a precursor to a generally higher set of pressure readings.

Let us know how you get on.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Oct 11, 2006 06:47 pm

I would call. 171 is high no matter what the bottom number was.

As far as I understand, only one number has to be high, for there to be a concern,

khailibowen

wierd bp readings

Postby khailibowen » Wed Oct 11, 2006 06:38 pm

I have some wierd bp's going on. It seems I have a high top number but not bottom number. I don't know if I should be worried or not and when to call my ob.
Okay, so another bp question:

Today a few of my bps were: 171/77; 160/71; 152/76; 145/70. I asked my ob at my last appointment what numbers constituted a call she said about 160/110. Well, 2 of my readings were over 160, but none even close to 110. It seems weird that my top number can be so high with such a low bottom number. After I got teh 171/77 I laid down for the late morning and that's when it started to go down and it went even further down then reported above.

Is it normal for some to have high tops but not bottoms. I mean I know the danger zone is 140/90, but what about when they are so wierd like this.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”