What foods are high in iron?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
khailibowen

Re : What foods are high in iron?

Postby khailibowen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 07:48 pm

If you have any cast iron pans you can brown your meat and then have some spagetti and the tomatoes will help to absorm the iron in the pans and there is another hidden souce.

My mom actually has to much iron in her system, but they did say it is pretty rare. Some things they told her, drink caffeine because it leeches iron from the system, so if you have to little iron don't drink caffeine. Plus she is to avoid at all costs Brocolli because apparently there is just tons of iron there, so for those who have too little brocolli should be a good source. When we were just putting my son on iron supplements we also increased his diet and I was afraid of iron overload but we were told it is pretty difficult to increase iron by diet alone in a seriourly anemic person and it is not likely lead to overload even with supplements. As long as the person is getting checked regularly it should be easy to tell if any problems develop one way or the other.

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 07:21 pm

When I was anemic in my first pregnancy, my doctor said that the easiest iron to absorb from food products came in the form of red meats. Not the most healthy of foods, obviously, but used in low-fat, sparing ways, it can be a great source of iron. Personally, I love to sautee spinach with garlic and parmesan cheese (very quick prep, add spinach last and take it off the heat as soon as it starts to wilt at all).

If you up the iron in your diet and start to feel worse instead of better, be sure to let your doctor know. A friend of mine had her MIL cooking her iron-rich foods after her delivery (because she was anemic) along with her iron pills and they ended up going too far the other way! I don't know how common that is, though.

Best of luck!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:54 pm

If you add citrus to your iron-rich foods it helps with absorption. We eat a lot of spinach and orange salad in our house.

Red meat is also good - doesn't have to be liver.

khailibowen

Postby khailibowen » Tue Oct 03, 2006 01:32 pm

I was going to mention the fortified cereals as well such as total and product 19. We like Kashi products here and some are really good for iron.

Definitely the green leafy veggies (nice green salad for lunch, yum) just make sure it's not iceberg lettice. A good lunch we like here is a pita or flat-out wrap with some hummus spread on it and some chopped up spinach. Even my ds loves it (at 2yo).

Beef products are good. A large roast beef from Arby's is a quick and easy lunch.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:56 am

Hmmm...lots are high in iron, but sadly many of them do not taste that great! ;-) Spinach or any dark greeny leafy veggies. Liver, and other beef products. Hazel Nuts, almonds, soy beans, cashews, lentils. Sardines (blech). Wheat and oat bran, bran flakes...many other health cereals. Good luck! Sorry that ice cream and cookies is not on the list! :-)

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 08:56 am

Strawberries, watermelon, dates, figs, lots of different fortified cereals and pastas, and pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

melanie12321

What foods are high in iron?

Postby melanie12321 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 04:09 am

hi i was wondering if people can give me tips on what food is high in iron that tastes nice-ish many thanx xx

Return to “Ask the Experienced”