How long for swelling to go down postpartum?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
darcynulph

Re : How long for swelling to go down postpartum?

Postby darcynulph » Tue Apr 19, 637672 5:26 pm

By my 6 week check up I had lost 32 pounds, most of it in the first 3 weeks. OMG the night sweats were gross. Between the PE and mag I was huge!

holliadrienne

Postby holliadrienne » Tue Apr 19, 637672 5:15 pm

Hang in there! I had PE and had the dreaded Mag and was induced too...all that contributes to the swelling. Mine was not completely gone for about 3-4 weeks, especially in my feet and ankles. Eventually at about 2 weeks postpartum my GYN put me on maxzide for my bp and it is a diuretic and it helped my swelling a lot...just know that some day soon you will look down and say, hey those are my feet finally![:D]

alexp

Postby alexp » Tue Apr 19, 637672 3:39 pm

Mine took about 2 1/2 weeks...I was so miserable, I weighed over 200 lbs and could barely move. Nothing really seemed to help. But once it started to go away, it went pretty quick - it started at the top and went down. My feet were last to look and feel normal.

I hope yours goes away quick, and you are feeling better soon!

lyndsey

Postby lyndsey » Tue Apr 19, 637672 12:57 pm

It took several months for all of my swelling to go away, but the majority of it went away after the first few weeks because I was given BP meds that also served as a diuretic. It really helped in the length of time it took I think, but it still took at least 2 months, meds or no meds. I guess it really just depends on how much you gained, etc. Hope it doesn't take too long for you.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Apr 10, 637672 3:12 pm

I know that at discharge from the hospital at 10 days pp I weighed more than I'd ever weighed in my entire life!!! I think it took about two weeks for the swelling to go away entirely. It was painful enough getting rid of the fluid, I didn't pee it away, it had to sweat its way out, or worse!!!!!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Apr 10, 637672 11:45 am

Forever! At least in my case! I was so swollen, when I was initially discharged, that I couldn't even fit into my VERY large maternity pants = and that was after my son was delivered!! Um, yes, it was very depressing. I read a post on here once where someone was given diuretics to help with swelling. I couldn't find a link for you though, so maybe whomever posted it will repost for you. I don't know if that's something doctors normally do or not, but I definitely plan on asking this time around! I hope your swelling goes down sooner rather than later!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sun Apr 10, 637672 9:23 am

my swelling took about 4 weeks to go down in my ankles and feet......nothing helped i tried epsom salts to no avail....hot and cold soaks did no good..........i just had a swelling reoccurrence this last week.....4 months post partum....my feet refused to fit in my shoes....thankfully it went away yesterday!!

haunaniv

How long for swelling to go down postpartum?

Postby haunaniv » Sun Apr 10, 637672 6:17 am

How long did it take for your swelling to go away after delivery? I am one week postpartum. I had PIH during this pregnancy and although my bp is back to normal, I still have lots of swelling. I did have IV's and mag during delivery. Is there anything I can do to help swelling go down?

--Nancy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”