jaundice and have to go back to the hospital???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bluebird

Re : jaundice and have to go back to the hospital???

Postby bluebird » Wed Aug 23, 2006 01:05 am

quote:Originally posted by Blythe

My pediatrician said that subsequent babies with the same fathers have a higher possibility of getting worse jaundiced, so I need to prepare myself for the hospital if there's a #3 baby...

Hi Blythe.
Just wanted to chime in that if it's any relief at all, I have never heard that before--a baby's weight can have an impact on how well s/he deals with it, though. My kids have the same father, and my second had a much easier time with jaundice than my first (he was also 13oz. heavier and full-term).

Good work with the breastfeeding! The extra feedings will help keep him flushing the bilirubin out, too. Glad to hear your good news.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:04 pm

Just wanted to chime in and say that my oldest (37 weeker) was put back in on day 4 and his peaked at almost 28!!! At 30 they told us that they would do a blood transfusion! Talk about freaking out!! Anyway, he was in the hospital 3 days on the lights and home on a bili blanket for 2 days and then it came down. It was scary!!

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Chance's bili was 8.2 Monday morning! And 6lbs 14 1/2oz Saturday morning, 7lbs 4 1/2oz Monday morning!!! I've been worrying about how little he seems to nurse, so I spent the weekend making him eat tons extra. 3 ounces a day.... Maybe I can relax a little? [:D]

My pediatrician said that subsequent babies with the same fathers have a higher possibility of getting worse jaundiced, so I need to prepare myself for the hospital if there's a #3 baby... He assured me they would let me contnue breastfeeding, and I'd get a room with the baby, (not the NICU) like many of you talked about. But that's only if there is a next time!!!

Hopefully the "interesting" part is over. [:)]

melissam

Postby melissam » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:40 pm

Kate did have to go back to the hosptial for more phototherapy at 6 days old. She only got to 16.9. She was born at 36 weeks also. She was born at 6 lbs 6 oz and dropped to 5 lbs 11 oz. So between the weight drop and the rapidly increasing numbers on the bili, they decided to admit her. She had also become very lethargic and they just didn't want to take any chances.

Riley was on the bili bed for almost 2 weeks. She also peaked around 20 or so. They would have admitted her but they were full with RSV babies.

I hope all goes well for you and he is able to stay at home with you.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 08:06 am

Just looking for an update -- did Chance have to go back in?

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Aug 20, 2006 06:44 pm

That sounds about what happened with Sara. Peaked at 4 days and went down each day after the bili lights. Broke my heart to see her so small and in a little diaper under the lights. All I wanted to do was hold her and they kept takingher away from me.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Aug 20, 2006 06:27 pm

Jaundice for our 31 weeker peaked at about 7-8 days and took 2 weeks to go down to acceptable levels. She was already in the hospital, so we didn't have that dilema. Put the suitcase in front of the window during the day to get natural light too!! That helps!

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Aug 20, 2006 06:01 pm

Thanks for your stories! It makes me feel less alone in all this! A friend of ours who had 32week twins over 20 years ago tried to make me feel better by explaining that most people have "boring" babies - they eat, sleep, and poop. We've got the "interesting" ones.

The suitcase light is just like the hospital ones, like a little baby tanning bed. I was sooo good about putting him in it with his little eye covers and just covering his privates - not even a diaper so he could get more light. I left him in there 24-7, even though it was killing me not to be able to hold him. I even insisted on keeping the bili blanket so I could use it while I nursed him - they didn't want to let me have it because they didn't think our insurance would cover both the blanket and the suitcase light, and I told them to bill us. The days I was only supposed to use the blanket and his level increased, I held him the whole time with the bili blanket on him. The pediatrician wasn't my regular one, though, and I think she just didn't believe me. I finally got a different ped on Friday when his level went down again (Thursday 14.6, Friday 10.4) and she said that maybe they should have expected his levels to peak in 5-7 days because he was less than 37 weeks (instead of 3-5 days for post-37week babies).

His level was 9.5 on Saturday, so the real test will be Monday. Wish me luck. When I asked what the plan was if he rebounded again she wouldn't tell me - I guess she couldn't stand to see me cry again. But I do get my good ped back Monday, so maybe I'll handle it better if he tells me baby Chance is still sick!

Thanks again for the support!

bluebird

Postby bluebird » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:33 am

I'm sorry you're going through this! My daughter had to return to hospital after coming home because her bili level wouldn't budge--it was so hard emotionally. However, once we were there (I was given a room, she was in the central nursery) I was all business and concentrated on going home, which kept me going. I nursed her every three hours and she just wore a diaper and the cloth eye protection 'goggles' under the bili lights. I was forced to sit or rest, so I read magazines while I sat beside her, and the jaundice made her so sleepy (and the heat from the lights did, as well) so she didn't seem distressed in there. I agree that I think the bili lights cover more of the baby, from head to toe, so maybe that's what your son's DR is thinking. Best wishes for quick recovery!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:27 am

Sara went back at 4 days old. She was lethargic and yellow. The hospital forgot to do her newborn blood tests. They called me on that Friday and said to bring her in the next morning and they would go ahead and do her jaundice test that the ped ordered. So I brought back the next morning at 8am. They did the tests but I insisted on waiting for her jaundice tests to come back because I was so concerned. That test was too clotted, so they stuck her again. It took forever but at 11:30am, they got the results. They said they had to call her ped. (This was all done on the maternity/l&d floor). They called her dr and he said she had to be admitted. I promptly burst into tears. They moved us into a pp room and put her on the blanket and lights immediately. Then when they got her admissions paperwork done, she was admitted to the peds ward. They did an intake and outake of fluids and fluid. Her diapers were weighed before the were put on her and weighed when taken off. We were only allowed to take her out every three hours for a feeding and a diaper change. The rest of the time she had to be on lights. When she was discharged the first time, her level was 12.8 borderline. Then when they tested her at the hospital, it was 22.8. Very high in less than 2 days. She was supposed to stay in the hospital for 3-4 days. We got out in 2. Her levels dropped to 11.6 the 2 day late in the afternoon, so he let us go. Dh stayed with her in the hospital the whole time. I was too sick to stay.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”