question of the day re: activity levels

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
anissa

Re : question of the day re: activity levels

Postby anissa » Fri Nov 27, 637040 1:53 pm

I jazzercised before and during my pg. I was pretty hard core about it and remember the instructor constantly having to tell me to take it easy once I became pg. In addition I hiked and walked alot. I excercised in this manner up to the day I was told I had PE and was put on bed rest. I was 30 wks.

I remember blaming myself for being too active and not allowing myself to put my feet up. It's very hard to accept that PE just happens and it's even harder to not blame yourself.

Mommy to Olivia Renee, born 6/18/03 at 31 wks, 2lbs 14 oz, 15 in. long

godsgrace

Postby godsgrace » Thu Mar 08, 637038 7:23 pm

I walked a few times a week, but I didn't do it often because if I did too much I would get really painful Braxton Hicks and after 20 weeks i had such bad hip and back pain i could hardly move... Im such a wus. I was very active tho around the house, cleaning making meals all the time. I didn't sit very often I was nearly obsessive compulsive about being clean when I got pregnant drove my family mad. So i think i got most of my physical activity thru cleaning, vacumming etc.

Previously "porkchopsmommy" forgot my password... duh.
Mommy to Grace Lillian - January 20th 2004, 31 weeks 1 day @ 2lbs 13oz - severe complications due to PE

pugmommy7

Postby pugmommy7 » Sat Apr 14, 637032 8:18 pm

I do not stick to a regular regime, but I do walk, yoga, chase after my kids,and keep up the house(well kinda;)
So I would say I am active, I just don't hit the gym per se.

I was 60 pound overweight h/e. I think this is directly linked to diabetic issues. when I manitain ADA diet- not for weight loss, I am much healthier, and in turn weigh less.

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e

nborrayo

Postby nborrayo » Sat Mar 24, 637032 4:28 am

okay, we are being honest here, right? [;)]
Here goes...
I get in shape for about a year, exercising regularly (3-5x a week, at least an hour each time), then lose motivation and let it go for a while- the get in shape again... I was in the let it go phase when I got pregnant, although I am a pretty active person even when slacking (steps instead of elevator, always park far away, etc). When I got pregnant I was too sick to do anything first, then I walked a little daily for a couple of months, then too tired and in pain, then on modified bedrest.
No triathalons here.

Nicole B
Mom to Claire Marie
Born 12/12/03 @ 37 weeks due to PIH/HELLP

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 16, 637032 8:33 pm

I walked most days for at least a mile, often more like three or four. I was a casual day hiker before I got pregnant and kept that up for the first trimester at low elevations until summer hit and it got too hot to go hiking during the day!

Caryn
DS Oscar born 10/20/02 at 34 weeks, rapid-onset severe PE

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Tue Jan 24, 637032 8:27 pm

I was only eighteen when I got pregnant - was a cheerleader, dancer, and soccer player. During my pregnancy, I walked to and from school and work, every single day. Severe pre-e diagnosed at 27weeks, 3 pounder born at 30 weeks. I was 12o lbs when I got pregnant - and 180 when I delivered! After I peed out all the water, The nausea and vomiting throughout my pregnancy and following left me at 118 at six weeks post partum. Pre-e doesn't care if your an athlete, couch potato, or someplace in between....however, we all continue to ask ourselves what we did wrong, right?

djismith

Postby djismith » Thu Oct 13, 637031 4:47 pm

I was very active I worked 8 hrs a day on my feet in a retail dinnerware outlet. My dr would not pull me out of work, until the day before I was to have an emer. c-sec.

Diana

kylesmom

Postby kylesmom » Thu Sep 08, 637031 9:44 am

Anne, I have to say that I am teetering more on the couch potato side of life these days b/c I don't have (ahem, MAKE) any time to exercise. I do know from what I have read, and felt, that being physically fit before you conceive really makes pregnancy easier. It takes me a good swift kick in the butt to get out there initially, but after you get a routine, you will miss it if you have to skip a day or two! Trust me! [8D]

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu Sep 08, 637031 9:16 am

I would love to be able to say that I have worked out at least 3X a week my whole life, but that would be a lie[}:)]. I think about working out all the time, but alas don't do it very much! I do a lot of walking, and always have, but if I ever decide to get pg again, I'm going to get more serious about exercise in the months b/f ttc, at least I hope I will[:I].

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

kylesmom

Postby kylesmom » Thu Sep 08, 637031 7:23 am

I have to say I was really good about exercise. I was running about 3x/wk for months before I got pg in Dec and then after pretty much sleeping through January, I joined a "Fit for Delivery" class which met a few times a week at a local gym and we did step aerobics and lots of stretching a relaxation. What a wonderful class that was. My dh and I did lots of walking throughout too. Oh and we were living on the 2nd and 3rd floors of our duplex which unfortunately had the laundry in the basement[:(!][xx(] so I was always up and down up and down... I am getting tired just remembering.

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”