Anyone here did NOT develop pe with their 2nd preg

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : Anyone here did NOT develop pe with their 2nd preg

Postby deerhart » Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am

I had severe PIH starting at 24 weeks the first time around (induction at 37 weeks) and the second time around I had some really wierd symptoms starting at 30 weeks but my BP didn't go up and stay up until 36 weeks at which my doc simply induced to avoid most of the issues from the first pregnancy.

While my youngest was born a little earlier I was not even close to what I had with my oldest.

jshell4871

Postby jshell4871 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:48 am

HI I have mild PE starting at about 36-37 weeks with my 1s then no PE with my 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th pregnancies. Eclampsia with my 6th and now chronic hypertension. So far with my 7th I have not been diagnosed with PE although I am worried that is coming. I think maybe I had hypersension before becomeing pregnant with #6 but was not on meds until her birth.

gossamer

Postby gossamer » Wed May 24, 2006 11:00 pm

I had severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome in my first pregnancy that resulted in an emergency c-section of my daughter at 26 weeks. WIth my next pregnancy, I was on bp meds form the beginning due to unmasked chronic HBP. I saw an OB, Peri, and Cardiologist throughout my pregnancy and delivered a perfectly healthy baby boy at 37 1/2 weeks with no pre-e. I did have my meds adjusted throughout the pregnancy and I had constant monitoring of my urine and liver function.
Gossamer

cindergretta

Postby cindergretta » Sun May 21, 2006 01:41 am

I have chronic hypertension. Pg #2 and 4 were pre-e free. 1,3, and 5 had pre-e and #5 had HELLP.... It's hard to find any rhyme or reason sometimes. My mom had pre-e with her first and not her 2nd. My sister had pre-e with her first but not her 2nd or third. Both have chronic hypertension. Just a couple of more stats for you... [:D]

haunaniv

Postby haunaniv » Fri May 19, 2006 01:17 pm

PIH 1st, 3rd, 4th pregnancies -- deliveries at 40+, 36, and 38 weeks with good outcomes

5th pregnancy -- Chrn. Htn. unmasked by pregnancy (bp going up prior to 20 weeks)-- put on bp meds -- everything going well so far

Wonderful uneventful 2nd pregnancy

--Nancy

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri May 19, 2006 10:47 am

I got put on bp meds because my bps went up very, very slightly at the beginning of my second trimester, when they should be going down. I, like Julie, got tested for cardiac output and it was determined that my cardiac output was high, so my Peri put me on 50 mgs of Atenolol to keep my pulse down and my bp as well. It was a preventative measure, his theory was that the high cardiac output could cause pre-e again down the line because it was wearing my arteries out pumping so much blood so fast. The cardiac output theory is one that is not used all over, some OB's won't worry about a fast heart rate, mine upped my Atenolol until it was under 80. Also, there is only a few places in the US where they have the tecnology to test for cardiac output. I think that my Peri kind of expected me to get pre-e again, and he was thrilled that I did not have any problems after I went on the bp meds (which I am still on and probably will be forever now), which I was thrilled about as well. I should add that one of the concerns about being on bp meds during pregnancy is that it can lead to a low birth weight baby - but so can high bp. I was monitored VERY closely at the end to make sure that baby was okay. From week 30 on I had non-stress tests two times a week and then ultrasounds every few weeks, along with my regular appointement, this made me feel secure that if anything did happen to my baby it would be caught quickly.

Joy

cara

Postby cara » Fri May 19, 2006 08:54 am

Around week 15 was when my BP started to creep a bit. The Dr didn't put me on the meds from the beginning b/c he wanted to see if it would rise at all. Sure enough, I started having headaches early and I had to go in the hospital for some monitoring b/c my BP had gone up to 150s-60s/90-100s with pulse in the 140s. That's when I started the Labetalol 2x a day. It has helped a lot, BP hasn't been higher than 140/90 since I started taking it! At this point in my first pregnancy, BP was running 130/100 with no meds. Hope this helps and eases your fears a little bit!

meg hanrahan

Postby meg hanrahan » Fri May 19, 2006 07:37 am

Gia

I am another story of no pe in my second (and third) pregnancy. (I had severe pe in my first and delivered six weeks early.) I took baby aspirin from week 6 to week 32 in my subsequent pregnancies, but that is it. I, however, do not have any chronic hypertension issues. Good luck - I know it can be a scary road.

gia

Postby gia » Thu May 18, 2006 11:19 pm

Cara and Joy,

Why the 15 week mark for starting the meds? Is it bec. your pressures started to go higher or was it purely preventative?

Thanks,
Gia

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu May 18, 2006 10:54 pm

Well, you probably are tired of my story by now, but I did not get pre-e the second time around, but like lots of the girls that answered you I was treated with bp meds from about 15ish (I really wish that I could remember exactly) on and I had a totally natural birth.

Joy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”