Anyone else gone w/o 24 hr urines? `Turned rant`

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
season
Forum Moderator

Re : Anyone else gone w/o 24 hr urines? `Turned rant`

Postby season » Tue Mar 07, 2006 07:22 pm

Hi Lucy,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with your doctor already. You have every reason to be nervous due to your history and ideally the doctor would treat you with this being understood. As for the 24 hr urine, is there any research or articles you could take in that explains the value of the test? I did not have a 24 hr urine with pregnancy #2, even after my bp went up. My doctor did check bloodwork, and my in office dips were always negative. I think if I had shown any protein she would have pursued it farther.

As for fundal height, I recall that they wait awhile before starting these measurements (don't remmeber the exact week. I know you are due in August, so maybe he is planning to start the measurements at a later date.

Seeing how uncomfortable you are with your care; isn't there a larger town you could drive to, in order to see someone else?

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 03:46 pm

Ive only have 2 ultrasounds both fairly quick (well there was one hwere he just flipped it on to see the heartbeat) I so want to get to the Peri.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Mar 07, 2006 07:07 am

Lucy as far as fundal height, my first ob never measured for that either. It was only with Sara that my ob measured me at every visit. I truly thought it was wierd that he measured me. He also never felt the position of the baby either where with Kirsten, I constantly had drs and nurses feeling for the position of the baby. I just assumed that with all of the US that he knew the position from that. Actually it was when I went to L&D that any comment was made about position. The nurse said I had been carrying Sara really low when I came in but Sara decided to head into the other direction when the pit was started. She made a comment that to my belly and patted it saying baby you need to come towards the light. If you were not having US, then I would be concerned about fundal height. But since you SHOULD be having them all the time, then I don't think it is something to be concerned with. With both girls I had 10+ US. Fundal height measurements don't start till 20 weeks. I'm still wierded out from when my ob did them. But then I have to remember that he probably does it on every patient. He only gives one US unless there is a problem. That one is at 18-20 weeks.

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 03:06 am

Thanks for the replies, I really wish I had another option for a Dr he doesnt even measure me at any of my appts (fundal height) which seems bizarre as that was something that was always done in my previous pregnancies,
Noel thanks for the offer I will email you if you still have them and are sure you dont need them I would be glad to take them and can pay the shippping too, Ill send you my addresse than you can just let me know how much shipping is, thanks again.

excitedmommietobe

Postby excitedmommietobe » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:43 pm

So sorry to hear that your OB is so horrible...I wish you had another option as far as a dr. If you want to watch your protein at home regularly, I have a bottle of the hospital dips for glucose and protein (Uristix) that my doctor had the hospital give me when I left hospital bedrest and went to home bedrest. Anyways my precious peanut is here and so I am no longer using them, and wont be pregnant again before they expire so if you want I could totally mail them to you. I didnt pay for them, and someone should get use out of the rest of them (at least 50) before they expire. Just email me your address if youd like them!!!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Mar 04, 2006 08:31 pm

forgot about the weight thing. I had lost weight during pregnancy. Then I gained like 5 lbs in two weeks and this was the ONLY time that he mentioned my weight gain and he was like hey your weight gain is great. (Course now I think it was due to swelling, lol).

ladybug76135

Postby ladybug76135 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 01:30 pm

That's just absurd that he doesn't believe in 24 hour urine tests! The numbers are how you judge how severe PE is getting and help guide when to treat, deliver, etc.

You've had PE twice. I only had it once and my OB did a 24 hour urine multiple times during my 2nd pregnancy- baseline in 1st trimester, once in mid second, from 26 weeks -32 weeks we did them every other week; starting at week 32 they were weekly; by 36 weeks, we were doing them twice weekly. They're such a pain in the rear that i really resented doing them at the time. However, i know he just had our best interest in mind when he was ordering them.

As for the weight gain, you're pregnant. Last time I checked, you're supposed to gain weight. I'm overweight and my OB never said anything rude about it. I gained 28 pounds total for the pregnancy.

I hope something works out and you can find someone else. You have to have some faith in your OB.

Keep us posted,

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:21 am

I am so sorry. I think he is an idiot, rude, and certainly unprofessional. I have been doing a lot of research on the standard of care. Here's a link that the military uses
http://www.fpnotebook.com/index.htm

WIth your losses, they should be extremely vigilant and you should be on a schedule for everything!!! Sometimes my ob would forget that it was time for bw or whatever. I would just remind him that it had been a certain amount of time since the last one. He would be like yep time for that again. I know you guys are having some financial issues right now, but would it be possible to order some urine strips on line so that you can dip your urine at home to keep an eye on it? I know it is not the best and most accurate method but it is at least something.

I thought my doc was aggressive last time. I didn't even have any losses. Yet when he finally got the records from Kirsten and saw my BW and urine, he flat out told me he was going to be more aggressive.

Maybe if you are able to print out parts of that website that I provided (it has EVERYTHING in it) and show him that this is an acceptable standard of care, he'll listen. Otherwise, if you are feeling ill, I would just head to any l&d but his to be seen.

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:29 am

I am sorry Lucy. There is no excuse for your doc to act like that or to not order labs/24hr urine just because he doesn't believe in it. I am so sorry. I am with Alex and will be praying that things get better or are able to change for you. {{{hugs}}}

alexp

Postby alexp » Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:14 am

Big (((HUGS))) sweetie. I hate that you can't go to a doctor that you truly like and are comfy with. I wish you could just all move somewhere else until the little guy or girl gets here :(. I'm thinking about you and praying things turn around with that doc...either that or by some miracle you can get to go to someone else.

I expect things'll get a lot better when the peri gets involved - he was pretty good last time, right? Keeping fingers crossed here!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”