Postpartum BP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
excitedmommietobe

Re : Postpartum BP?

Postby excitedmommietobe » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 am

I had the right shoulder pain after my c section as well...along with tons of swelling in my legs and feet. I was told that it was due to the fluid that my body was retaining...the pain subsided after the lasix was put in my IV at the ER (4 days post) and then got a prescription from the dr for a water pill. Do you still have a ton of swelling??

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Feb 23, 2006 06:49 am

Unfortunately it seems that a lot of drs believe that delivery is a total cure. I have found that the treatment was different after Sara was born then when I was pregnant as well. However when I was in the ER, the ER called my ob for guidance. Hope everything stabalizes for you.

kblum

Postby kblum » Thu Feb 23, 2006 04:31 am

Today at 2:00 I was 159/107 with no headache when I called the Dr. to report in. My OB finally called back at 5:00 and told me to go to the hospital to have my BP monitored. 2 Hrs later, when my husband arrived home to take me in, my BP was 183/113. At the hospital it maxed out at 180/98. They put me back on propranolol, in addition to the aldomet. I was surprised at the protocol this time. Now that I've delivered, I had to go to ER instead of the mother/baby unit, they did 3 BP checks, a few neurological checks (squeeze my fingers), and they checked my sinus rhythms (which were good). I expected the urine dip, blood test, and another 24 hr urine. I'm glad to be home, however, instead of admitted for the 24 hr urine. I bet though that when the Dr. wanted me to go in to be "monitored" he expected what I expected. I delivered by induction that led to C-Section on 2/13/2006 and my 2 week OB appt is this Friday.

By the way, I have had a pain in my right shoulder for the past month. The pain is better now, but the fingers of my right hand are tingly. At first, I was concerned that this was a pre-e symptom (right shoulder pain), but the Dr.'s have never seemed to care when I mention it. A friend said that she had shoulder pain and her Dr. said that it was fluid from the pregnancy and c-section and to heat it often. Does anybody else have any experience with this and/or suggestions?

meredith

Postby meredith » Wed Feb 22, 2006 04:01 pm

Karen,
OMG you sound like me 5 days post-partum my bp was 152/102...called my kidney doc and was put on procardia. it took 4 days to regulate..no headache. My baby was born 2/11/06..when did you have your baby? i did not have pre-e..Today i have a headache too I keep checking my pressure. I freaked out when my BP was that high...Please keep us posted

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 22, 2006 03:53 pm

Karen, how are you today?

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 03:29 pm

I had postpartum preeclampsia. I was sent to the ER and was admitted for four days to get my bp stabilized.

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 22, 2006 02:53 am

Oh yes, and make sure to tell them that you had preeclampsia antepartum. I checked out some of your prior posts, and see that you've been pretty swollen. It might be time to ask the doc if you're a good candidate for lasix, which is a diuretic used sometimes with preeclamptic women. After they deliver, that is.

laura

Postby laura » Wed Feb 22, 2006 02:46 am

Any pressure near 160/110 (systolic or diastolic) is considered severe, and 'round these parts is an automatic ticket to the ER. Now, quit reading and go in, already! Make sure they do a neurological check on that headache, as well, to rule out intercranial pressure. Then, let us know how you are, ok? Most women aren't aware that the highest risk of eclampsia is not prenatally, but in the immediate postpartum period. This is nothing to take lightly.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Feb 22, 2006 02:18 am

Karen,

pe can strike up to six weeks post-partum. If the headache continues and you can't sleep, I would advise you to get checked out asap; those pressures are not good.

kblum

Postpartum BP?

Postby kblum » Wed Feb 22, 2006 00:48 am

How important is my postpartum blood pressure? I've had the headache from he#@ all afternoon. At 3:00 my BP was 180/112, I took my aldomet and now it's 159/103. I still have the headache. I tried taking my migraine meds and it hasn't touched the pain. I wasn't able to sleep with the baby this afternoon because my head hurt too bad, I'm hoping to sleep tonight. I called the Dr.'s office and they want me to call back tomorrow and let them know what my BP is tomorrow. How long is the postpartum BP danger period versus just normal person high BP? Or when does it cease to be an OB problem and become a GP problem? Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”