Postpartum BP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
melody

Re : Postpartum BP?

Postby melody » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:12 am

Karen - How is your BP now?

I remember how scary that was. I was very close to being readmitted because of high post-partum BP. They even gave me another IV in anticipation for more mag and readmit. Thank goodness it didn't happen that way.

Just curious how you're feeling...

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:17 am

sometimes it can take years for BP to go back to normal. Mine just recently dropped into normal range (110/68!!!) and my youngest child is almsot 3 1/2 years old. Since his birth it had been 130/83 mostly.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Mar 03, 2006 06:27 am

Missy I like the bracelet idea! However, I would go as far as to say to wear them while pregnant too! As far as your migraines, I got the absolute worse headaches on Procardia. So bad that I was on migraine/headache meds from my ob then from my pcp after delivery. Once my ob switched me over to my pcp, she immediately changed me to Ziac. It is a combo bp med/diuretic. So maybe you should put a call into your pcp and get the Procardia changed. Procardia also made me feel like I was on speed too. I literally was very anxious and could not sit still for two seconds while on it.

Unfortunately with the bps, some go down and some like me have not without help from meds. One can always hope though.

misup

Postby misup » Fri Mar 03, 2006 01:02 am

That bottom number of 91 is still concerning....
I had Grace 3/17/04, and I am still on procardia.
I have migraines as well. I was taking procardia during pregnancy and am still taking it today.

Everything I have read states that pe/bps go back to normal .. right away or up to a year later... Grace is about to turn two and mine are still not under control. (bottom number is running 90-99)

Has anyone else experienced this?

Oh, for yours.. keep a close eye on those bp's I hate to say it, but I take Hydrocodone for my migraines. I dont recommend this for anyone who may have a hx of addition..(luckily I dont). because it is vicodin. Exercise (which I do little to none). Education, education, know all the signs and symptoms and make sure everyone around you is aware and knows what to do if you need them.

You know how they have those little braclets for diabetics... PE moms should where one that says PE for a year after delivery...
I have just spoken to so many people that have had strokes post pe. including my aunt. Education for prevention is the key.

Keep us posted... if you here about any other meds, let me know...

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Feb 27, 2006 04:37 pm

I didn't have a urine dip after delivery either time. My urine dips were done in the ER for uterine infection 2+ protein 5 days pp and in the ER for lower right pelvic pain 7 months pp 1+.

zekat

Postby zekat » Mon Feb 27, 2006 03:56 pm

I'm interested in hearing how your OB appointment went, karen. I had a very similar experience as you. I never did develop PE, but starting at 37 weeks, my BP was up (140/95 average). I delivered via c-section after 2 days of failed induction at 41 weeks. After the doctors having me freaked about my BP for so long, I was surprised with their blase attitude once my baby was born. 2 weeks PP, I felt tense (which is probably to be expected). I checked my BP at home and my pressure was 170/105. I freaked out and called my OB who pushed me off on my GP. I'm now on labetalol but I'm too scared to take my pressures at home (isn't that sad?). However, I had my 6 week follow up on Friday and my pressure was 130/78. I TRULY, TRULY believe that our bodies are still trying to figure things out after delivery & the pain associated w/ c-section probably contributes to the higher numbers. I hope you are feeling better & you get your pressures stabalized.

kblum

Postby kblum » Fri Feb 24, 2006 01:51 am

My BP was okay today, 143/91. If the last 2 months are any indication, it will stay good for a couple of days on this new med and then spike again. Hopefully it won't though. I have my OB appt. tomorrow afternoon so I'm sure they'll at least do a urine dip - or do they not do that after delivery?

mom29

Postby mom29 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 09:10 pm

Wow, I'm surprised they didn't admit you to keep a close eye on you. I agree that the maternity nurses know more about pts.with preeclampsia. When I was admitted they put me in a private room on the pediatric unit so I could keep my newborn with me. It was definately weird being admitted to peds. when I was 40 yrs old.
Keep an eye on your bp and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:31 am

No blood tests?? And you mentioned the upper right quadrant pain?? Please continue to monitor your symptoms and your pressure, and regardless, I'd be calling the OB and informing him/her that no conclusive tests were performed.

And, don't feel weird about being seen in the ER. I developed pp PE and I too was seen in ER and when admitted, I wasn't admitted to L&D. There's no need for fetal monitoring, so L&D isn't necessary (now I do think they are more experienced with PE and probably more proactive when particular symptoms are mentioned). However, all the tests are still necessary. Gollie.

Take care hon!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:29 am

I had a lot of swelling and I didn't have a csection after Sara was born. For me it resolved on its own after about a month.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”