Questions........

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cara

Re : Questions........

Postby cara » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:35 am

Not a Dr here either but I can always tell when my BP is up b/c of the heart pounding. It feels like if someone looked at me, they'd see my heart beating in my chest and it gets a bit painful pressure-wise. Maybe start checking your BP regularly and bring that in to your next appt. I'd also be concerned about the vision problems. I had an episode whild driving one day that was REALLY scary. Just ask them for some tests (24 hr urine, HELLP panel, etc...) if anything, to rule OUT pre-e or HELLP!

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 am

Welcome! I agree that it wouldn't hurt to check your bp regularly between appointments. I totally agree with Erik on that. In my first pregnancy my bp was high and I had no clue. Had I been monitoring at home I would have known I had a problem. My outcome was good, but I was lucky. I would go ahead and request a 24 hour urine test just to be on the safe side.

Best wishes. Let us know how you are doing.

anathor21

Postby anathor21 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:59 am

Welcome! Glad you found us and are looking into understanding things - so many people go through their pregnancy and don't learn a thing until it's all too late and/or over with.

As to the symptoms you reported - (Standard "I'm not a doctor" disclaimer here) - some of what your describe do sound similiar to Preeclampsia symptoms. But then again, so much of "normal pregnancy" issues do overlap. Take a look at the signs/symptoms page (http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp) and you will see what I mean (I'll bet you have already though, heh).

The important thing, in my opinion, is to talk to your medical team and get them to explain what their view is on the various symptoms - tell them the whole story (again and again if necessary) until you understand why they are or are not concerned. I would also keep a written log of any of these events - that way you can show them what you are feeling and when. Since they apparently are concerned with your diet, perhaps you should jot down what and when you eat in relation to these "episodes" happen.

I also would suggest you monitor your BP - but then again I'm biased now to the point that I think every pregnant woman should check her BP and keep a log. It would be interesting to see if your "episodes" are at all realted to BP. PE or not, I would be concerned about what is going on. Perhaps some of the ladies here will tell you otherwise...

As to the "trace of protein" - I would want to folowup on that one myself. I.e. ask for a 24hr test to determine just how much is spilling - but again that is the ultra-conservative approach and you should discuss with your doctor/nurse the decision to do this or not.

Anyway, best of luck and please do let us know how things go!

allish

Postby allish » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:53 am

I am not a doctor! but here's what I know.

I asked my doc about the heart pounding, she said it wasn't unusual - your blood volume has substantially increased, so your heart is having to work harder. (On a side note, when my BP was normal, I still felt my heart pounding. Once my BP started climbing, I quit feeling my heart pounding. This does NOT mean that YOU are in trouble if you're not feeling your heart pounding.)

It's not unusual for vision changes to occur during pregnancy, due to the hormones. If you're concerned about it, go see an opthamologist (not an optometrist) - there are tests that can be done to determine if blood pressure is causing your vision changes. Spots when you stand up can be indicative of a blood pressure change when you stand, which is not unusual - your body has a lot of adjusting to do to its new blood volume over a short period of time.

Be sure to eat several small healthy snacks during the day to keep your blood sugar levels up. Ask your doctor to schedule you with a nutritionist if you're not sure how to stick to the weight goal you have been set, but still eat enough - it can be a tough balance.

asuedot

Questions........

Postby asuedot » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:18 am

I'm about 24 weeks pregnant due June 8 with my third baby. My first two pregnancies were perfectly normal. This time around I have been sick one way or another since the beginning. I wouldn't even be worried except on another parenting board I go to a mom there had pre e and was worried about me, so that brought me here.

Since before Christmas I've been having these "episodes" where I find it really difficult to breaths. Kinda like I just ran a marathon and I just can't catch my breath. It usually happens at work and while I am on my feet all day I've usually not been doing anything to strenuous. A lot of times it will happen after I've gotten back from walking to the restroom, or after I've just taken a fifteen minute break. Sometimes I also get lightheaded and dizzy at the same time and I have to sit down wherever I am for like 10 minutes for it to pass. The first time it happened I went to L&D and they determined I was dehydrated, but after being on the IV for about four hours they let me go and walking to the car it happened again. (that was in December) Now it happens atleast one time a day mostly at work.

On my last dr appt. Jan 23, the doctor told my I was hypoglycemic. That however was just a guess as she did no tests to determine it. She said that I'm going to long in between meals and I'm not eating enough (then told me to only gain 15 lbs the entire pregnancy but that's another story) However I notice that alot of times this happens within 30 minutes after I've ate. I've also began noticing that my heart is pounding so hard I can hear it.

Also, on my last appt. they found a trace of protein in my urine, but she also said I was spilling ketones. I had the flu about 10 days before that, so she said it was all probably from that and not to worry. My BP was normal she said but I dont' know what it was. I've also been having vision problems for the past two months now. EVERYTHING is blurry. And I mean all the time, and it keeps getting worse. Sometimes I also see spots, but usually after I've just stood up. So should I be worried?? I go back to my dr. in a week, but he knows all this and just keeps telling me I'm fine.

I honestly just think that all this is normal. Or atleast nothing I should panic over KWIM?? But I still thought I should ask all you ladies as you seem to know more about it than me. TIA

Return to “Ask the Experienced”