Stats for HELLP reoccurance after twins?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
youtan

Re : Stats for HELLP reoccurance after twins?

Postby youtan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:50 pm

Wish I could help. Somewhere I have a document that my peri gave me which details (in his opinion, I suppose), what percentage risk you get for underlying disorders, history of pe, twins, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have this paper with me. Anyway, he gave me a 70% chance of PE reoccurance (5-10% HELLP reoccurance) given my background, a singleton pregnancy, no underlying disorders, and family PE history (my Mom had eclampsia), and possible CHT. Although my PE was mild the 2nd time, I'm pretty sure that if I'd gone longer (if I hadn't been monitors) things would have progressed into the nasty again.

But, remember that stats are just that - numbers based on data thats been gathered. No one can really know. Have you been through the stats with your doc?

pmtt

Postby pmtt » Thu Feb 02, 2006 02:25 pm

I don't know about stats, but I delivered my girls at 33w2 days due to PE and so far this pregnancy (37w1d) I have no sign of PE whatsoever!!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:35 pm

I think hellp, there are two studies. One puts it at 5% for any pregnancy and another puts it between 19-27%. Correct me if I am wrong guys. I had Kirsten at 36 weeks and was told my risk of reoccurance was 40-60%. After Sara, my ob put it at 25%. But now that may have changed because I have a CHT diagnosis now, so I think my risk for it just went back up.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Jan 31, 2006 07:50 pm

Michelle,

haven't gotten anywhere on the twins question, but on the underlying disorder, you might want to check out Laura and Catherine's responses on this thread:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10862

In a nutshell, it seems like if you do have an underlying disorder, then chances are, it's going to have some impact on a subsequent pregnancy. As to whether it would be different under a singleton, I can only assume that if the placenta isn't having to support two babies, it stands a better chance - but that's guesswork, not fact, and I'm happy to stand corrected should anyone have proper info.

mama2twins

Stats for HELLP reoccurance after twins?

Postby mama2twins » Tue Jan 31, 2006 05:59 pm

I have seen the info regarding the chances of developing PE and HELLP in subsequent pregnancies, but does anyone know of any stats regarding if these conditions happened when carrying twins and then the second pregnancy was a singleton?
Does have an underlying disorder change the stats(60% if before 28 weeks for PE and 5% for HELLP) I read? Or are these stats only for when the cause of PE/HELLP is unknown.
Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”