End of 38th Week

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
Registered User
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 637342 3:31 pm

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby annbaby3 » Tue Nov 23, 637649 6:00 pm

I was 38 weeks in my first pregnancy when my doctor decided to induce. I had come in with greatly elevated bp and he said, "Let's have a baby!" Being at term, there is no reason not to induce.

Registered User
Posts: 3788
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 637044 9:55 am

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby lorelei » Sun Nov 14, 637649 8:58 am

You have been given great information and I "ditto" all these ladies. You are full term and the baby should do just fine at this gestation. Preeclampsia can go from moderate to severe in a snap so you don't want to play around with it. Please look at the signs and symptoms like that Julie (pelote77) gave you and call your ob or head straight to L&D if you are experiencing any of them.

Please let us know how things turn out!!

Forum Moderator
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 636717 10:25 pm

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby season » Sun Nov 14, 637649 12:26 am

I think you should call and ask yur doctor what the plan is. When if an induction vs waiting for labor etc.

I had this talk with my doctor, trying to understand where we were with balancing risks and bebefits of different options. In my 2nd pregnacy I was induced t 38 1/2 weeks with PIH, as my doctor did not want to wait for other problems when we were at term.

User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 636721 2:40 am

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby julie f » Sat Nov 13, 637649 6:28 pm

We're not doctors here, but moms that have been there-done that. And as one of those moms, I too am curious as to why they are having you wait four days before another appt.

Of course we don't have all the specifics of your situation, but if I were in your shoes, this is what I would do. (Again, I'm not a medical professional.) I would call my doctor back TODAY and let them know that you are not comfortable with waiting so long in between check-ups. I would also ask what his/her reason is for wanting to keep you pregnant at this stage of the game. I would ask for lab work (PIH labs), to include a 24 hour urine. I would also ask for a non-stress test and an u/s to check baby's growth and fluid levels.

Preeclampsia is a disease that can progress so very quickly. Please keep very close watch over yourself and don't hesitate to head straight to L&D if need be.

Here is a link to our Signs and Symptoms page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

What were your bp readings and what did they say your protein was measuring at?

Registered User
Posts: 1279
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 637364 4:36 am

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby lyndsey » Sat Nov 13, 637649 1:19 pm

I'm definitely of the same opinion. Your baby would be completely fine to be born now, why wait for complications? I would call back and voice your concerns.

Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 637649 4:48 pm

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby arene » Sat Nov 13, 637649 1:00 pm

I would definitely talk to the doctor about your wishes and concerns. That sounds strange, but there are some weirdos out there. My doc says he'll keep me in the hospital till the 39th week if need be (instead of doing the c-section at 37 or 38 weeks). I just don't get it...but talk to him. Best of luck![:)]

Registered User
Posts: 6064
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 636712 9:03 pm

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby missgamecock » Sat Nov 13, 637649 11:25 am

I was induced at 35 weeks 5 days via emergenvy induction. I would call back and raise your concerns up.

Registered User
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 636708 9:55 am

Re : End of 38th Week

Postby leahannj » Sat Nov 13, 637649 11:21 am

I'm in the "that's nuts" camp. I was induced at 37 weeks with "just" PIH. I never had protein in my urine. But my doc said we're not playing the wait and see game because the risks were far too great and there wasn't any real benefit to waiting. Baby was cooked, get him out. If I were in your place, I'd be kicking and screaming (waddling and crying? haha) to get an induction. 38 weeks is full term. Good luck!

Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 637649 10:40 am

End of 38th Week

Postby irishtimes » Sat Nov 13, 637649 10:57 am

Went to doctor's this morning and for the first time had high protien levels in urine along with high blood pressure. They took my blood pressure four times that final time after resting on my left side. The bp numbers showed a marked improvement after laying down. They told me to come back on Monday to check bp and urine agian and that I had preeclampsia

I am now at work and everyone is weighing in with an opinion. My question is this; given that we are relatiely late in the pregnancy (due date of Feb 4th) why are we waiting four days for a follow up check up. Why not just induce? It seems that the dangers of playing a wait and see game this late in the pregnancy far outweight the positives.

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests