Is there a such thing as being too cautious?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
eliz

Re : Is there a such thing as being too cautious?

Postby eliz » Mon Sep 06, 637649 1:30 am

I would want you to be concerned enough to do your bedrest![:)] But, I'm wondering if there's any question on your OBs part that you have PE. What I mean is, if your OB is sure you basically have PE and this is what he/she would do for you at 34 weeks with PE, there is no point in a 24 hour urine, really, right? You could question the course of treatment, but before just demanding certain tests, I would just ask my OB what he/she thinks is going on. I had PE twice and my experience was that I was not especially informed along the way. Not that I'm endorsing that, because I'm the kind of person who likes to know exactly what's going on with me. However, I have realized that I was not in danger of my doctor being "unconcerned" (which is how it sometimes felt). Rather, my doctor was appropriately concerned but didn't want me to be stressed out - provided that I was following her orders and receiving good medical care.

I think sometimes doctors err on the side of not alarming patients. This isn't always a bad route, except that as many people on this site know, it's sometimes worse to be feeling anxiety that you aren't being taken care of (or taken seriously). And, the worst thing can be that it feels very sudden and scary when the doctor finally lets you in on their concerns and tells you to meet him/her at the hospital for an induction in a few hours.

Good luck with L&D or talking with your doctor, and with surviving bedrest again! Definitely check back in so we can hear how it turns out.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Sep 04, 637649 3:15 pm

If you have had PE twice before, there is absolutely no such thing as being too cautious. I agree with everyone else that you should be getting a 24-hour test.

Here's what our experts have to say about bedrest:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10150

bicyclist

Postby bicyclist » Tue Aug 24, 637649 6:18 pm

Bedrest is hard, but you can do it! I too feel bedrest helped me to get from 23 to 29 weeks. I took my bp at home and could tell it made a big difference for me. I would call in and ask about the 24 hour urine ASAP. Maybe someone could go pick up the jug for you. Information is power. Remember that your Dr. gets paid to see you and you deserve the time you need to get the best care he can give you.

Are you seeing a peri or MFM? If not ask for a referral to one. There is a bedrest forum here for bedresters, it might be helpful to check it out if you haven't yet.

Remember each day in that tummy saves two NICU days!

Hang in there!

arene

Postby arene » Tue Aug 24, 637649 3:34 pm

Thanks for all of the input!
My next appt. is Monday, the 16th. He told me he wants me to come in each Monday for a bpp. I will definitely ask him about the amt. of protein and a 24 hour urine. I did one with my daughter (4500 mg) and was delivered within 2 days. I am absolutely taking it easy. Severe pe is miserable.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Tue Aug 24, 637649 1:18 pm

Hi there,

When is your next appointment? I would be asking for a 24hr urine test asap, plus bloodwork to check your liver function. As you know, 34 weeks is a good place to be but you don't want to be taking any chances.

As for the bedrest - if you're monitoring your BP at home, then you can tell if being up and around is putting your BP up. When I got to 34 weeks in my last pregnancy, my Dr had me lie down for an hour every morning and afternoon, which I felt was a good compromise. When my BP started creeping up at 35 weeks, I went on meds, then when they weren't keeping it under control, I was delivered.

If I were you, i'd get back in to see the Dr and make him discuss all of this. I'd also be asking him for a BP level that if sustained after rest, he expects you to go into L&D. You've had pe twice and you know how serious it is; I'm assuming you're sensible enough to be taking things very easy (if not lying horizontal 24 hrs a day) and keeping a close watch on your symptoms.

However, you should not (in my non-medical opinion) be spilling protein at 34 weeks and leaving the office without a big plastic bottle to pee into for 24hrs. At this stage in my last pregnancy I was having weekly bloodwork and had an open invitation to my OB's office anytime, and was seeing him 2x a week anyway.

No matter how busy he is, you are entitled to have proper explanation of how he is managing your pregnancy.

arene

Postby arene » Tue Aug 24, 637649 12:53 pm

I have not done a 24 hour urine. After the urine test in the office, I asked if I was spilling protein. He said yes, but that was all. He was in a hurry because his partner unexpectedly retired and he has taken on all of his patients (including me). I wish I had asked more. He mentioned pregnancy-induced hypertension, saying he thought my bp was due to that and not the chronic hypertension resurfacing.

lorelei

Postby lorelei » Tue Aug 24, 637649 12:45 pm

Welcome! Jen gave you some great information. A diagnosis of preeclampsia is made when you have two blood pressure readings of at least 140/90 taken 5-6 hours apart and 300mg of protein in a 24 hour urine. I'd say that your dr is not being too cautious. P/E can go from mild to severe in a matter of hours. If you feel the bedrest is working then I would continue it. Bedrest, as Jen said, is controversial, but in my case I presented w/preeclampsia at 24 weeks and spent 13 weeks between my home and the hospital on bedrest so I know it helped get me to 37 weeks. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Here's a link to our signs and symptoms page. www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

jenandtheboys

Postby jenandtheboys » Tue Aug 24, 637649 12:36 pm

Hi, there. Welcome.....sorry you've had such troubles with PE. There are plenty of us around who have as well!

Anyway, have you done a 24 hour urine test? The results of that ALONG with BP readings are what's needed to constitute a real PE diagnosis. Now, with that being said.....we have on and off debates/discussions on these forums about the merits of bedrest. There are opinions on both sides of the issue as to its effectiveness. I just know that for myself I feel strongly that being on bedrest for the last 6 weeks of my last pg worked wonders for us, and was what allowed me to "last" that long before delivery...and consequently, what allowed my son to live since he had not been expected to.

Others will say differently, and I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. In my mind, even though bedrest is a pain, there probably isn't such a thing as too cautious when it comes to that baby! [:)] I know it is frustrating and tiresome, too.....but like you said, things with PE can develop and change really fast and if the bedrest is helping? [?]

Anyway, don't know if I helped at all. Hopefully others will join in this discussion as well and we'll get a good consensus. Best of luck for several more weeks of healthy pg!!!

arene

Is there a such thing as being too cautious?

Postby arene » Tue Aug 24, 637649 11:15 am

First of all, let me say thank you to all of you for sharing your stories and wisdom. I am pregnant for the third time and just found this site. My daughter was 33 weeks, 3lbs. 4oz. due to chronic hypertension, severe p/e. I was on bedrest from 20 weeks with that pregnancy. My son was 39 weeks, 8lbs. 3oz.(scheduled c-section), chronic hypertension, p/e began at delivery and continued for 6 months. I am currently 34 weeks and have been bedresting at home for 9 days.
I have a new doc this time. The 6th of Jan. my in-office bp was 165/95. I was sent home to rest and went back the 9th for a bpp (which was good--a 5lb.3oz.girl in there). On that day my bp was 155/95. We had been taking my bp at home on the weekend and only had 2 borderline readings all weekend (141/88 and 138/91). I am still home on bedrest (sort of[}:)]) and bps have been below 140 systolic and 78-87 diastolic. I am wondering if I really need the bedrest or if he is being too cautious. Don't get me wrong, I know p/e can get serious fast, but do I have p/e? I want to do what's best but am frustrated. Thanks (sorrry for the long post)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”