high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock
Registered User
Posts: 6064
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 06:34 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby missgamecock » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:03 pm

My peri ran a level II US, BPP, NST, went over my bp logs and medications, made up a game plan and had recommendations for my ob to follow. He was pretty much doing that already. You could conceivably have all these done at a hospital. She also came up with a schedule on dr visits, and when to have all the tests run. She also reviewed my lab results with him by phone. Oh and another thing she did was keep a check of the amniotic fluid levels.

weezie
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 00:08 am

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby weezie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 pm

That's the thing missgamecock, I haven't been told to go ahead and see a peri. And I should have wrote in that the commute would be an hour and a half. I live in Alberta/Can. where winter driving can be v. hazardous even up till May so with my luck my appointment would fall on a blizzard day! No, I feel confident that knowing my history and how fast the OB acted before, that he will be right on top of things this time too. I am not sure what more a perinatologist could do? Especially one so far away.

missgamecock
Registered User
Posts: 6064
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 06:34 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby missgamecock » Thu Jan 12, 2006 06:24 am

Hey you know my peri is 45 mins away from where I live. It was a pain in the butt to have to go in there all the time (especially when I was supposed to be on strict bedrest!) However, she was the one that made the decision to deliver. She told me, I don't like the way you look, your bp is stroke level, this is a very dangerous situation, and I feel confident your baby's lungs are mature. I'm calling your ob and telling him I think we need to deliver you. But it was up to my ob to accept her recommendation. Thankfully he did and off I went to have the baby. So if they tell you to go ahead and see the peri, do it.

weezie
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 00:08 am

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby weezie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 03:23 am

Hi, I also am in the same situation. Right now I am 12 weeks pregnant and am under the watch of my G.P who I trust very much as he was on top of things with my last pregnancy, Ran the right tests and referred me well within time to an OB. Not his fault that the OB was HORRID (and now is only allowed into surgery under the watchful eye of someone d/t various complaints against him). Thank God that when I started having horrible epigastric pain along with my soaring bp and went into the hospital, I received the OB on call who was awesome!
Anyway, sorry to digress:-) So, for this pregnancy, I will continue with my awesome GP and later on to my OB. I am pretty sure that the closest peri is about an hour away from the city I live, so I am not sure if that would be worth it. Hopefully I made the right call, but I think it really boils down to trust.

missgamecock
Registered User
Posts: 6064
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 06:34 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jan 09, 2006 07:57 pm

You know thinking about it, my ob from the very beginning treated me as high risk. He never made me feel like it was going to be a normal pregnancy. He did tests from the beginning. If you can get in without a referral or get your ob to give you one, that's great. However, I know mine won't give one unless needed (even when people asked). I remember coming out of the exam room and a midwife was talking to him saying that a patient was demanding a peri consult. He said he would send her if she needed it and he wasn't sending her because she didn't need it. I don't know her situation. I never asked for the consult, but he sent me at 26 weeks to prepare for an early delivery. Quite frankly I know what tests should be run and when, so I would feel comfortable with my ob. I really think he sent me to the peri for the level II US, bpp, and NST (all of those were performed at her office). He got a game plan from her. You just need to find someone that will take you seriously, will know that you are paranoid (we all are after PE) and will take action and monitor you closely and you trust him! :)

jillmushet
Registered User
Posts: 860
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 08:50 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby jillmushet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 06:49 pm

I vote for peri. However, Michelle makes a good point. Finding one you are comfortable with and who UNDERSTANDS your situation is equally important. If that doc is not a peri, then maybe it's just as well.

suze
Registered User
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 07:41 am

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby suze » Mon Jan 09, 2006 06:09 pm

I agree, go for the peri--I stuck with my OB and am always second-guessing that decision even though this pregnancy has been uneventful so far. I have to admit that it's not about the medical care, which I trust--it's just that my OB insists on treating this as a "normal" pregnancy unless or until pre-e shows up. The trouble is that like most people who've been through it I feel anything BUT normal. I can't help but think a peri would be as concerned as I am about a reoccurence--or at least know that high-risk moms need extra reassurance even when everything appears normal.

missgamecock
Registered User
Posts: 6064
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 06:34 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jan 09, 2006 06:02 pm

You do have to find someone that you trust. My ob with Kirsten was awful and dumped me in the hospital for nine days and then thought that she could come and talk to me about my situation and convince me to stay. HAH. Signed out ama and went back to the military drs. She didn't even check on me once!

My ob I trust. He was there the entire time in and out of my room, took my concerns seriously and was proactive.

mamasboys
Registered User
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 08:27 am

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby mamasboys » Mon Jan 09, 2006 02:23 pm

Yeah I miss my doctors that I use to have so much. I called the office just now and they said I would have to have a problem first and then be referred before I would go see a peri. All well.

darcynulph
Registered User
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 05:12 pm

Re : high risk doctor right off the bat or wait?

Postby darcynulph » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 am

I agree, you must trust your ob. My first ob was TERRIBLE, so I found a different one immediately and it made all of the difference in the world. My ob has a genetisist and a peri in the same building, they all consult together so it gives you a real sense of security.


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests