Paige & Val - Russian Adoption Info

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
akemt

Re : Paige & Val - Russian Adoption Info

Postby akemt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 01:25 pm

If I only had cable! [;)]

China is half the price? That would be great, but only if we aren't ready to adopt till I pass the age of 30. Ah well! We'll see what the options are when the time comes, but I do like hearing about it all.

cindync

Postby cindync » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:40 am

Catherine

I am sorry I do not know anything about domestic adoption, only what I have seen on adoption stories tv show on discovery health channel. It seems like to adopt an older kid in the US they are in foster care. We never considered domestic. But November is national adoption month, and I believe Dave Thomas (of Wendy's restaurant) does a lot with domestic, and has a foundation.

Cara, I do not know anything about India or Hong Kong. I did see on adoption stories once an Indian family living here in the US that adopted from India. i believe China is about 15K total. I was going to start pushing husband towards adopting from China, when I got surprise pregnant. Maybe one day!

I am glad to see people open to adoption! Watching Adoption Stories on Discovery health is a good way to learn a little bit about what people go through, and some idea of the process.

crogers

Postby crogers » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:28 am

My husband and I also would like to adopt internationally. We've thought about India or Hong Kong- both places (at least from what I've researched) were considerably less expensive than Russia or the Ukraine. I think the experience would be so amazing and I am looking forward to one day in the future when, Lord willing, we can bring a little one home from another country. Thanks, Cindy, for sharing.

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:34 pm

I think it is a wonderful thing to adopt. Dh and I always talked of one day adopting but to look at it financially, I have no idea how we could ever adopt. I cannot believe those restictions in Korea, why is being your ideal wieght going to make you a better mother...that is just crazy. I really dont understand why you need to be 30 either. It is just so sad that so many children desperatly need a home and to be loved but yet politics prevent it...its just so sad

akemt

Postby akemt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 09:44 pm

Can you tell me anything about adoption from within the United States? While we would like children to be in or under the 6-8 age range, we aren't desirous of getting a newborn or infant.

When the time is right, we would LOVE to adopt...this is a very interesting topic for me to be reading. Thank you for your information and stories.

cindync

Postby cindync » Tue Nov 15, 2005 02:38 pm

Val

I did not know that China and Korea had those restrictions. Geez, half (or more) of America wiould be excluded from Korea. I do know that they can bring the baby to you from Korea. I saw that on adoption stories.

I wish Russia was not so hard. My son's orphange, in a small town outside of Moscow, had 75 children in it, from newborn to 4 years old. And that is one little town. They need people to adopt, I wish it was easier, and cheaper. My Alex is so wonderful, it breaks my heart to think he was ever in an orphange. That someone could have him, and give him up immediatley. He was put in the orphange two days after birth. So depressing.

Until someone goes there, and goes into an orphange, and sees all those children, they will never ever understand. I am still haunted by the toddlers who ran to the gate when we were arriving one day, saying mama. So many beautiful litle children just wasting away.

princess purr

Postby princess purr » Mon Nov 14, 2005 04:40 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I go back and forth everyday, it is such huge decission! I really like russia but the process has become so hard. I have heard some regions do wave the 10 days, it is not commen but can happen. Two trips are always required now. It must be so hard to leave your baby after the first trip!
I'm to young for china, you have to be at least 30. For korea you can not be more then 20% over your ideal weight, so that knocks of out of that country!

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:03 pm

I just met a lady today who had two adopted children from Russia, abouut 4 and 9 months, beautiful children.

paige_va

Postby paige_va » Thu Nov 10, 2005 08:03 pm

Cindy and Dori,
Thanks so much for sharing your adoption experiences. I go back and forth daily on whether I'm completely out of my mind to even attempt a second pregnancy. I feel I got very lucky the first time. Maybe the second time won't be on our side. I have absolutely no qualms about adoption, and think it's a wonderful thing that you all have done to give a needy child a loving home. We may do the same. Thank goodness for women like you.

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 04:14 pm

I adopted my first. She is half white and half Korean. She is goergous. I would love to adopt another full blooded Korean girl later when my 3 under 3 are a little older. I love adoption, I think it is a wonderful experience. I know that Korea you don't have to go to the country to adopt. They are about the only country that does that. We adopted Kallie in 2002 also.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”