Gestational Diabetes

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jjrjwhite

Re : Gestational Diabetes

Postby jjrjwhite » Mon Nov 14, 2005 02:17 pm

I just had the test for GD on Friday...

You will be fine...you only have a few more weeks...hang in there!

mommyto5inohio

Postby mommyto5inohio » Fri Nov 11, 2005 04:35 pm

I went in for my OB appointment yesterday and he scheduled a sonogram for next Saturday. That will be our last peek at her before she's born. We should be able to get a good idea of her weight then. :-)
My blood sugar readings are continuing to stay good and I'm feeling better about the whole thing. Thanks again for everyone's wonderful support!

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 04:29 pm

My baby was born 4 1/2 weeks early and he was 7 lbs. 3 oz.

lizzybeth

Postby lizzybeth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 00:07 am

Dawn,

WOOOHOOOOO!!!! Good blood sugars! [:D]

um, nope, I don't suspect that you are hoping for a 'lil GD induced weight gain for the babe.....

Here's hoping NO INSULIN!

Keep counting and balancing[:)]
lizzybeth

mommyto5inohio

Postby mommyto5inohio » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I am definitely motivated to lose weight after she is born, what with the PIH and GD!
That's funny, Lizbeth! Mine have been up to 10lb1oz without GD, so I can't say I'm hoping the same. LOL!
My blood sugar readings have been GREAT yesterday and today, so it looks like we'll do fine with diet alone. :-)

lizzybeth

Postby lizzybeth » Thu Nov 10, 2005 04:16 pm

Hi Dawn,

I had Gestational Diabetes with my last pregnancy and so far with this pregnancy, I have maintained decent sugars with the diet alone.(passed my 1 hour glucose challenge last week, spilling some sugar in my urine but no big deal. The most commen effects are that the baby will be larger than average and might be hypoglycemic at birth needing some sugar water for a day or two. There are lots of other, less common effects, like the ones that you mentioned. After delivery, my sugar was fine and I had no need to continue the diet.

I have a friend that had GD with her 2 pregnancies and had WHOPPING babies: first was 12 pounds, second was just shy of 13 pounds, the largest babe that practice had ever delivered. Her OB delivered those chunky monkeys vaginally! She later developed type II diabetes, but, diabetes runs in her family.

Hang on for 3 weeks!

This probably sounds really stupid, but, I looked at the GD as posibly a good thing since I am prone to such tiny low birth weight babes. 6 pounds 1 oz is the biggest I have ever cooked up. Yeah, I'm crazy [:I]

Lizzybeth

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 04:11 pm

Hi Dawn,

I had my baby on July 1st and I had PE and GD. I had to have insulin shots every day. It does suck to have to worry about another thing but it really wasn't a big deal once you got used to counting the carbs. It is usually controlled quit quickly with either diet or shots. I wasn't happy about the 60% chance of Type II but I really needed something to get me thinking better about my health and that did it. I am losing weight now and exercising which will minimize that risk. Take it easy on yourself you will get through this. It really wasn't that bad. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dori

justcyt

Postby justcyt » Wed Nov 09, 2005 02:52 pm

Hi Dawn-
I'm so sorry for the additional complications, but it seems you and your health team are working great together. I am totally praying for you and baby Susanna as I'm a firm believer that prayer works...do what you can do and let God do the rest! Hang in there!!!

mommyto5inohio

Postby mommyto5inohio » Wed Nov 09, 2005 02:16 pm

I met with the dietician today and learned about how to count the carbs and how to distribute the food all through the day. I'm hoping this does it! I'm glad this is just for a little while!

mommyto5inohio

Postby mommyto5inohio » Tue Nov 08, 2005 08:31 pm

I had my appointment with the Certified Diabetes Educator today. Tomorrow I meet with the dietician. She taught me how to check my blood sugar levels and gave me a chart to record all of the info. She let me know that diabetes carries the risks of stillborn and placenta abruption, as does PIH, and that together my risks are higher for both. I'm also at a greater increased risk of pre-eclampsia now. I'm going to do all I can through diet to get this under control. She told me that they're only giving me to next week to have it under control with diet or I'll go on insulin. Oh and I have a 60% chance of later developing Type II diabetes and a 90% chance of developing GD in future pregnancies. I am NOT happy about all of this. Please pray for protection for Baby Susanna!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”