Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: MFM?

Re: MFM?

Post by Dee80 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 06:04 pm

Thank you so much for the posts and info!!!! I'm going to talk to my doctor tomorrow and see who he recommends. I have to go in for my first nst!!

Re: MFM?

Post by danielsmom » Fri Apr 06, 2012 00:15 am

Another name for MFM is Perinatologist. They typically work with an OB in your care and usually do not deliver babies (the OB does that). As a general rule, they're more knowledgable and experienced in dealing with complications and people like us with history of complications.

In my last pregnancy, my OB referred me to an MFM for level 2 ultrasounds when we started seeing growth restriction. I saw both the MFM and the OB the rest of the pregnancy, and the MFM monitored me primarily when I was hospitalized. The OBs did the C section.

Even if you do get an MFM on board, I'd make sure my OB is up to snuff dealing with hypertensive pregnancies. Ask them what their plan might be. Good luck!

Re: MFM?

Post by kerisue » Mon Apr 02, 2012 05:06 pm

Dee80 wrote:What is an MFM and what will they do different then your gynocologist?

A Maternal-Fetal Medicine sub-specialist is an individual who has completed two to three years of Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship after completing four years of Obstetrics and Gynecology residency upon graduation from Medical School. Fellowship training provides additional education and practical experience to gain special competence in various obstetrical, medical, and surgical complications of pregnancy. By virtue of this training and technical proficiency, the MFM sub-specialist provides care or consultation for both mother and fetus (unborn baby) in a complicated pregnancy. In addition, he/she provides education and research concerning the most recent approaches to the diagnosis and treatment of obstetrical problems. He/she thus promotes awareness of the diagnostic and therapeutic techniques for optimal management of these complicated pregnancies.

If you have had PE in a prior pregnancy I would want a MFM consult during (or before) your subsequent pregnancy. If you have not had PE previously but are worried about the variable high blood pressures, you might ask your OB whether a consult would be appropriate in your case.

Re: MFM?

Post by laughinggirl127 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 04:08 pm

I say that it wouldn't hurt. Two heads are better than one. They specialize in high risk pregnancies. Hope the other ladies get some more definative answers than I am able to give. Hope you bp stablizes.


Post by Dee80 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 03:21 pm

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is doing well!

I posted a couple days ago regarding my situation and to also introduce myself. Since then my doctor started me on blood pressure medication. My blood pressure is still elevated, high 130s to 140s/98-102. With a spike once a day in the 150s/100s. My normal blood pressure is 120/80. I am very concerned with my Bp and developing PE again.

My question is should I consult a MFM? I have never heard of an MFM until this forum so that is new to me. What is an MFM and what will they do different then your gynocologist? I looked at the hospitals website that I will be delivering my baby and they do have MFM.