New Here :)

Post a reply

In an effort to prevent automatic submissions, we require that you type the text displayed into the field underneath.
:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review

If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below.

Expand view Topic review: New Here :)

Re: New Here :)

Post by caryn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Welcome Earthside, Jonathan. :D

Re: New Here :)

Post by sam10 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 03:16 pm

Congratulations! Welcome Jonathan :-) So glad to hear that you've received such excellent care and you are both doing well. Just be aware to watch for PE symptoms for the next 6 weeks.

Re: New Here :)

Post by 3LittleBlessings » Sat Feb 15, 2014 08:07 am

Just wanted to post one final update for those that have been following myself and baby since the beginning- and it's mostly good news. :D I never made it to my appointment on Friday; after my husband went to sleep around midnight Thursday I realized I was having intense pressure and contractions every eight minutes apart. These were different than Braxton Hicks, so I made the decision to try to get some rest, thinking if they were real they'd only get stronger and we'd need the sleep. I was woken up an hour and a half later from the pain and this time they were five minutes apart. By the time the sun rose our children were with family and we were being admitted to labor and delivery.

My blood pressure was elevated and started to climb as we labored, but they were able to monitor it without putting me on magnesium sulfate. We had a completely natural, drug free labor as I'd hoped and made amazing progress. At six o'clock in the evening on Valentine's Day I was completely dilated and starting to push. We were so excited and grateful that everything had went so well. Unfortunately, this is where the story starts to go downhill.

When my doctor finally broke my water at 6:20 she discovered mecconnium in it, and after a few pushes it became apparent we had a serious problem. Our son's cord started to come down the birth canal ahead of him, cutting off his supply of oxygen. I had just enough time to tell my husband I loved him and we were rushed to the operating room for an emergency c-section, with my nurse's hand holding our son's cord back as they pushed the bed. Ofcourse, my husband was a wreck and I was put under for the procedure. He was born only seven minutes from the time they discovered the prolapsed cord!

My blood pressures and urine output had been a little worrisome after surgery, but are now looking better- and our son is doing really well in the neonatal intensive care unit where he's expected to stay for a few more days for monitoring. I was able to get up and see him last night briefly- and fell in love. He's such a little fighter and definitely our miracle baby. I will be forever grateful to the staff that took care of us yesterday, particularly the nurse that held his cord up as I was pushed into the operating room. I also wanted to say thank you to those that make this forum possible, and all of you that have expressed concern for us.


Re: New Here :)

Post by 3LittleBlessings » Thu Feb 13, 2014 02:03 pm

We were in touch with triage again last night because I was having nausea and feeling a little off balance- and when we took my blood pressure at home it was 150/107. The nurse in triage actually said that my blood pressure wasn't that high ( :shock: :!: ) and that they wouldn't take action unless it went above 160 on the top. She advised me to lie on my left side and rest for the remainder of the night. Thankfully it came down when I did that and family will be here to help with the other little ones tomorrow when I see my doctor. My husband works fifty hours a week an hour away and is probably more stressed about this than I am- he's so concerned something is going to happen while I'm home alone with the girls that he's had me text him my blood pressure and a message letting him know I was fine every hour this week.

I'm hoping that my doctor will take this seriously and just induce me over the weekend, but if not she had said in the past she would be willing to induce early next week. I've also started having more regular, stronger contractions and lost a huge part of my mucus plug this morning, so there's always hope this little guy could just decide to make an appearance on his own. Thankfully, he's been moving around a lot and that's been reassuring. This whole experience has been a little disheartening to say the least- it's great to educate mothers and raise their awareness about pre-e, but it seems in vain if some medical professionals won't take this disease seriously.

Re: New Here :)

Post by MomTimesThree » Mon Feb 10, 2014 03:16 am

Keep posted as you're able. You and your husband's gut is inline with recent recommendations from ACOG.. The recent ACOG Task Force report on Hypertension in Pregnancy ( says "For women with mild gestational hypertension or preeclampsia without severe features at or beyond 37 0/7 weeks of gestation, delivery rather than continued observation is suggested".

Keep posted as you're able.

Re: New Here :)

Post by 3LittleBlessings » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:33 am

Thanks for the reply! To be very honest, my husband wasn't very happy with their approach and neither was I. I am not someone that likes needless inductions, but with our son being full term I'd rather err on the side of caution. I woke up with a mild headache this morning and all my pressures, with the exception of two, have been 150+ on top and 95+ on the bottom. I've been taking them every hour and keeping a log. :? I'd just like my son out for my peace of mind, as well as the health of us both. We'll probably call the doctor's answering service, or head back to labor/delivery triage soon. They're probably getting tired of seeing us, but when it comes to our well being I could care less if the whole staff doesn't like me.

Re: New Here :)

Post by MomTimesThree » Sat Feb 08, 2014 01:23 am

I've typing on my phone, but just quickly wanted to chime in to please watch your pressure- that is very high, and especially already being past 37 weeks I'm not sure why they are waiting to induce you.. OB out of town or not. If you feel you're concerns aren't being heard I would go to a hospital in your area that has MFM (high risk doctors) on staff/call.

New Here :)

Post by 3LittleBlessings » Fri Feb 07, 2014 02:59 pm

Hi all! I just registered and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mary, and I live in Oklahoma with my husband and two daughters (ages 3 and 1).

My eighteen month old daughter's birth was an emergency induction at 38 weeks because of the sudden onset of preeclampsia. I had a migraine that just would not go away, even after forty eight hours and Tylenol, so I made the decision to go into labor and delivery triage. I thought they would tell me I was overreacting, but when I arrived there my blood pressure was 194/154 while lying on my side, with hyper reflexes. Fast forward a year and a half later, our daughter is a healthy, energetic toddler, and I am thirty eight weeks pregnant with our third child.

For some reason, my doctor has been under the impression this entire pregnancy that I most likely would not get pre-e again, although after reading the stories on the board it seems like that has happened to quite a few more women that I was led to believe. This time I know what to look for, so after my blood pressure started being borderline hypertensive at my doctor's visits, I started monitoring it at home. The last few days it's bounced between 171-140 systolic and 86-106 diastolic, so we've been getting to know the nurses in triage again.

So far my labs have come back fine (strangely, they did before, too) and we are awaiting the results of my twenty four hour urine test to see where we go from here. My doctor is out of town and unreachable, so we're being extra vigilant here at home and waiting for her opinion on Monday. (We were told at the hospital triage they wouldn't induce me unless she was in town, or my blood pressure stayed significantly higher for a longer period of time. :? ) It seems like my body just doesn't like being more than 38 weeks pregnant. (Our first daughter was a late term preemie born at 36 weeks because my water broke prematurely, so we never got that far with her to see if I'd develop pre-e.)

Anyway, since I'll more than likely be back on here in the next few days I wanted to introduce myself- and also to say thank you to those that maintain this website. Preeclampsia needs so much more awareness than it gets, and had it not been for the awareness I had of it from my own mother I may not have made it this far last pregnancy to even post this.

Wish all of you healthy pregnancies!

Mary :)